Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Will your cats use the litter tray if you move it to a different place?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Bette, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Bette

Bette PetForums Senior

Just interested in this as last week I had some workmen in doing a job so was keeping doors shut to keep my cats in a different part of the house out of their way.This meant that temporarily,for the few hours whilst the workmen were here,I had to put the litter tray in a different place to where it normally is.I noticed that neither of my cats used it all day,they waited until the workmen had gone and it was back in its usual spot.I'm not sure if this is because it was in a strange place or whether they were unsettled by the knocking and banging going on-possibly a combination of both.

Just wondered if you've found the same thing and any tips on getting them to use the tray in these circumstances? :)

2. AtticusRavel

AtticusRavel PetForums Member

I positively know he does.

I have the litter box in one part of the house. But I lock Atticus overnight in the kitchen (hope this doesn't stir too much controversy-it's a large kitchen, btw). Anyway, I put the litter box in the kitchen of course, and yes, from the first day that he used it overnight. What I did the first night was to put him inside so he had to walk out of it, and so orientate himself and the box in the room.

Couple of nights ago I locked him in the kitchen, and very unusually he started sobbing slightly. I was like "what is going on?" and suddenly realised I had forgot the litter tray!!! Run to the kitchen with it (running is an overstatement as the thing is so heavy..) and the minute I arrived with his WC he was a happy kitty again :)

3. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

When we moved I put the tray where I wanted it to be but Maisie wasn't sure about going in there, small cloakroom with an extractor fan when the light went on. So I put it outside in the hall and moved it gradually inside, and when she realised it was OK in there she began using it. Now we have settled in she will use the other one in preference but chooses the one that has been scooped first.

Apparently it is best to move them gradually.

Bob seems to recognise a litter tray and will find his way into it regardless of whether it is his or hers, or where it is. Maisie will sometimes wait until she has access in the place she thinks it should be.

4. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

I have one of each :)

Manny will use it wherever I move it too, Molly on the other hand :rolleyes: It took me weeks, literally, to move it from one spot to another! I had to move it a couple of inches a day just to put her off the scent of what I was doing :lol:

5. sarahecp

sarahecp Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks

Roman gets separated from Frank and Seb while I'm at work or out of the house because of the cat flap, so I move the litter tray to another part of the house, he's happy to use it wherever I put it :)

6. Bette

Bette PetForums Senior

When I did this once before,Harry was crying at the door of the room where it usually is (I was having to keep the door shut at that time to let paint dry) whereas Ingrid used it in the bathroom where it had been moved to temporarily.

I've got workmen in again soon so goodness knows where I'm going to put the blessed thing!:confused:

7. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

If I were you I would get another one and put it in the 'new' place with some used litter in. Leave the original one where it is, then there is a choice so nothing sudden happening. Once the need to shut the door arises, hopefully the new tray will be accepted.

Be prepared to leave it there though otherwise you might find accident if you move it away, or move it slowly to another place.

8. ScruffyCat

ScruffyCat PetForums Senior

Scruff is happy to use it where ever it is. So much so that when I am scooping new litter in with the tray on the side in the garage he will jump up and use it half filled! :eek:

Marking his territory I guess!

9. MoochH

MoochH Mum to Moochie

Mooch uses hers anywhere, including on top of the table when I'm trying to clean it out:001_tongue: !!

10. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Nothing bothers my cats, if I move a tray they follow. Noises or people in the house don't bother them either.

11. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Generally both happy to use it wherever it is (thank goodness with all the times I had to separate them :eek:) BUT as long as it's got their smell on (so I wouldn't use fresh litter when moving the tray

When Mia went to her new home, she was in the lounge for a couple of weeks (with all her stuff) but her new slave really wants the tray in the bathroom, so I said that once the lounge door is being left open, to move the tray maybe it's own length every day just so it doesn't worry her too much :)

12. smiler84

smiler84 PetForums VIP

Arthur would use his wherever. For all his other character flaws he is amazingly good with his littering!

13. Melo

Melo PetForums Member

If I ever have to move Henry's litter box, I take him to it so he knows where it is & have never had a problem. Your kitty might have been a bit upset by the workmen being in the house. You could maybe try putting it in a different area in the room its usually in for a day & see if they'll use it, that way you'll know if it was the workmen or the box being in a different place that was the problem.

He was a bit funny when I bought him a new litter box though, he didn't use it for the first day, but kept going in, standing in there for about 30 seconds to a minute & then coming back out again without doing anything! I think desperation took over by the second day & he started using it.

14. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

Mine will use hers anywhere - and often likes to keep me company. Her litter tray is in the bathroom, and when I go for a wee she will jump off the bed and join me in there, where we contentedly widdle in stereo, so to speak. (She usually takes the opportunity to have a chat and bring me up to date with what the dogs have been up to as well! Generally there is at least one dog in the bathroom, too, or sitting outside the door muttering "You little grass! Don't think I'll forget this")

15. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

When I had workmen in I moved the kitchen tray in to the lounge, Cookie used it no problem. A few weeks ago I was cleaning the trays and the kitchen one was being washed and a spare box was on the patio, again she used it no problem even though there were two more trays upstairs. Nothing phases Cookie :thumbsup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice