Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Will three bunnies fight?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by BethanieJayne, Jul 20, 2009.

1. BethanieJayne

BethanieJayne PetForums Newbie

Hello. I had an neuterd male and an unneutered female rabbit living together in one hutch and the same again in another hutch. These pairs were Guiness and Chia & Blossom and Earl. Yesterday Chia died an now Guiness is left on his own and looks quite lonely. I was wondering if it would be possible for him to go and live with Blossom and Earl. Blossom and Guiness have met before and just have the occaisional tiff but Guiness and Earl have never met. Earl is very laid back but Guiness can have a bit of a temper!

Any advice will be much appreciated.

2. Lemoney.Ellie

Lemoney.Ellie PetForums Newbie

It could happen as they are both males and its like a territory thing, so you could but the two who havent met in a run or something without the other and see how they get on - but always supervise then bring the other one in and supervise.

You are introucing a new bun as far as the are concerned so let them spend a few days together (out and about -run ect. not all the time) then if everything seems ok then its ok for them to live together.
    You have to supervise as sometimes it can get nasty even if the buns are laid back.

They may not fight or anything as the boys have been spayed but you never know! Better to be safe than sorry!

Good luck :D

3. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

I have never bonded bunnies but I think you have to do it in a neutral area and it has to be done slowly over time, the best place to go for info is..
    Rabbits United Forum - Powered by vBulletin brilliant place!! :D

4. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

You will probably find that the 2 boys will fight.. It is very hard to bond 2 males if they aren't litter buddies. Not saying that you can't bond 2 males, just saying that it can be very difficult.

Just make sure that you have a neutral area for them to meet, as boys can be very territorial, and keep an eye on them.

5. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

best bet is to put their runs next to each other or construct some sort of fence around one of the males. see what their attitudes are like before sticking them together, one will probably try to hump the other in dominance just to warn u

you should get your female neutered, her hormones means she could have phantom pregnancies and generally be moody, also they tend to live much longer because they are very very prone to cancers in that area. I've got a feeling the RSPCA or PDSA will do this for free/very very cheap

6. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

I have managed to get 2 girls and 1 boy together no problems. I would worry about 2 boys 1 girl, because the boys could fight. Whenever I have bonded its gone very well really!
    You need to speak to Crofty I guess, she has bonded 2 boys, 2 girls recently, although I think she did have alot of problems to start with!

*Heidi*

7. VampiricLust

VampiricLust PetForums Senior

I have bonded many M/M/F trios.

As long as the normal rules are followed, it should work.
    I personally believe that personality is a better factor to go on than gender.

I would neuter ALL of them before bonding.

Do it in a neutral area where none have been before (indoors)
    Do not give them to much space (4ft x 4ft is fine)
    Supervise them for the first 48 hours (i sleep on the sofa when bonding)
    Keep them there for at least 1 week.

When they move back outside, do NOT give them too much space in one go.
    Keep them in a hutch/enclosure the same size as bonding pen, for at least a week and gradually increase space.

If fighting occurs, decrease space and start again with increasing it a bit every 5-7 days.

8. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Hiya

Yep Ive bonded my two pairs into a four, I had alot of problems and stress along the way!!!!! i researched it for a good few months first, the girls were the problem to start with then the boys became a problem. It really did change throughout the few weeks and i dont really think the sex of mine made any difference it took ages for them to establish a peking order and many sleepless nights with them in a crate in my bedroom!

It can be done but you need to have all of them neutered it is impossible to bond un-neutered boys and very rare with does. Your doe needs to be spayed for her health anyway, 80% unspayed does develop cancer of the uterus, it will also make her easier to handle and less territorial. Any other questions just ask :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice