Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Will this method for house training work eventually?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by potatan, Jun 24, 2010.

1. potatan

potatan PetForums Newbie

Every time Jess wees or poos in the kitchen, I say "hurry up" a few times and wave a doggy bag around if I have one handy, but I don't say good girl or treat her. So, when I take her out to the garden on a lead, I let her sniff around a bit while telling her to "hurry up" and have the bag visible.

Is this likely to work? She's only been home since Saturday and is 10 weeks old, so I'm not expecting immediate results. Usually she just looks at me blankly for a good five minutes before I decide it's not gonna work, then take her back inside. Whereupon she generally goes on the kitchen floor straight away!

I don't have the luxury of letting her out alone in the garden (I live in a flat), so I'd like her to pick up that outside on a lead just stood in the garden means toilet time.

2. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Forget this bit. If you realy must do something take a rolled up newspaper and hit youself around the head while telling yourself to watch her more carefully in future

Wait untill she is actually doing something before you give the command you want her to associate with the action. Only once the command is associated with the action can you give the command for her to follow.

Probably because you are distracting her from the job in hand while she is outside by waving the bag about and giving her a command she doesn't understand.

.........................................................................................................

3. 5petlady

5petlady PetForums Newbie

Oh no, not a good idea. I agree with the above. Once she has done her business then you can say whatever command you choose, but not before she goes! Say NOTHING if you take her out and she doesn't go, but when she does, give the command. Very simple. Even to help encourage her you can give some training treats when she goes as well.

4. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Hawspot has it spot on (had to giggle at the rolled up newspaper bit :lol:).

Although he did forget to give you a little more :p

Start off by taking puppy outside for a wee/poop on a leash once every hour. Let him walk around you and sniff, don't talk to him and avoid eye contact if you can. Wait a maximum of 10 minutes for him to do his business, and then come back in if he doesn't. No praise no talking, just straight back in. If he messes in the house do not react. Just clean it up and ignore puppy.

Eventually you will catch puppy weeing or pooing outside, once he crouches for either start repeating your chosen word firmly but encouragingly with a slight pause between words. Then when puppy has finished make the biggest fuss ever of him! and I mean really go over board :D

Repeat every hour until you can see he has the hang of it. From that point on you should be able to take him out less frequently and you should be able to say your chosen words and watch him deliver :D

Using a crate will also help at night times. He wont want to mess in his bed at night, so try and get one that is only just big enough for puppy to lay in. Any bigger ad he will mess at one end. Then just try and make an effort to get up every couple of hours in the night and repeat the steps above. If you locate the crate in your bedroom next to your bed (preferably at the same height as you are in bed) then you will be able to stop getting up, but instead learn to wake up when he gives you a sign. Usually it is jiggling in his crate.

Whew, that was long winded :lol:

Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice