Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Will this get better

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by kernow, Jun 15, 2010.

1. kernow

kernow PetForums Newbie

We are nearly 3 weeks into having Fudge our boxer pup, she is 10wks this Saturday.

She is currently nipping and snapping quite a lot, at us and the 2 oldies, they are very patient and if she gets too much they will warn her, I try to make sure she is not too in there face and time her out, sometimes just the dog gate but if she continues barking and snapping through the gate I take her to another room. As soon as she starts I try and encourage her into positive play with us and her toys but she is relentless

When she is in this state it is quite wild and she does not appear to be learning from the constant reminders that this is not polite just goes back for more. She snaps at me if I tell her no, she only seems to come out of it in her own time.

Is she afraid or just trying to stamp her mark, she is missing out so much because of it and the other 2 would be great playmates if she would only stop biting them.

They will all eat and sleep together when she is calm but I am worried they will hate each other before it all settles down, so sad.

Is this all normal and it's just early days? I hope so :(

Fudge  Coming Home 28 May 2010 145.jpg Fudge  Coming Home 28 May 2010 167.JPG

2. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Had exactly the same thing with our ridgeback pup, just normal and will settle down. Their is some good threads at the top on coping with a nipping pup.

All the best:) Shes a lovely pup

3. lozb

lozb PetForums VIP

She is a lovely pup, I agree :)

Baxter, at 6.5 months was still jumping up and nipping/snapping.... he's calmed down a bit now and what I've found works for us (after trying a fair amount of different methods) is a quick 'blow' in the face - not harshly, just a quick, easy distraction. As he's a bit 'older' he responds really well and it's enough to distract him quickly - he's more curious about what happened, then we distract him with something else - a toy or a run in the garden.
    It's a relief to find something which works for us :thumbup:

Hope you can find something too - as babycham says, there are lots of useful tips and hints and stuff on other threads. xxx

4. JessiesGirl

JessiesGirl PetForums Senior

Completely normal.

Her way of playing and exploring is to use her mouth, as all young puppies do!

The dogs will likely sort it out between themselves, but I would give the older dogs a place to retire when they've just had enough of puppy for the moment.

When she nips at you:

Give a stern No or OUCH!

Get up and turn around-don't even make eye contact for a few seconds. This teaches her that using her teeth on people means no more attention at all. (Interacting with her in any way as she's nipping might cause her to think you're playing too, as you're still engaged with her.)

Then you offer her an appropriate chew toy and praise wildly for any attention she shows in it. This teaches her what things to look for when she has that urge to chew or begin a game.

You'll be repeating these steps for quite some time. And just as you think she's figured it out, her baby teeth will fall out and she'll be a chewing machine again! Patience and perseverance will get you through, though! Hang in there!

#4 JessiesGirl, Jun 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  5. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

Rupert does this!

I respond with an "ouch" or a loud puppy type squeal.

My puppy trainer says it will settle down in time.

6. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

This faze does end eventually I promise. Harvey was a real git with his as well. He still mouths but as long as you are consistant with bite inhabition it will end. Even if it seems to be lasting forever :D

7. MontyA

MontyA PetForums Member

It will get better. Monty was awful for biting and nipping, nothing seemed to stop him. The more noise we made, be it a yelp, or ouch, the more he did it. He would literally launch himself at us. Time out helped the most, and gradually it got better.

Keep at it!

8. kernow

kernow PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone for the replies, it really helps to hear Fudge is normal :)

I think I've identified the trigger for the morning, it seems to be the smell of the oldies feed gets her excited and then we are trying to get out the house to work and it escalates from there, from tomorrow I will put her safely in the car then go back and do the feed.

This evening I took her straight to the garden and all was calm until the men came home and greeted everyone and Fudge was off on one, targeting the dogs, we started a game of football with Milo and after 5 minutes of her taking bites at him he gave her a warning nudge and snap and she backed of slightly leaving his face alone and nipping his back legs as they chased the ball, he is used to this as Brandy would do it to get him to chase her :D when she was able, after a little more play she stopped the nipping and chased ball, yay

She did have another little attempt as the dogs were lay cooling off in the shade jumping and barking at them but a firm no and distraction stopped her.

She is now flat out like butter wouldn't melt :rolleyes: and I have gathered everyone round to see what a lovely puppy we really have :thumbup:

Fudge  Coming Home 28 May 2010 139.JPG

STA70618-1.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement

9. JessiesGirl

Again, sound pretty normal.

She gets excited to see the people returning home and then she acts out with the other dogs.

You have a few options here:

-If no harm is being done between pup and older dogs, let it lay. The older dogs will correct her safely and tell her what's what.

-If it's just too much to deal with when people arrive at the house, only have her out or only the older dogs out. Less for you to monitor and control.

I don't think you have a real 'issue' here. Just a young, excitable pup who's learning the rules of the house.

10. kernow

kernow PetForums Newbie

Hi JessiesGirl

Thanks for the reply, i think the dogs tolerate it better than me, i worry she is hurting them, having felt those nips myself and worry they may hurt her when they correct her, or worse still they grow to hate each other before it settles. Sounds like a lot of worrying :eek:

The oldies are such gentle dogs and usually quite boisterous but they have stopped playing together at the minute and usually take it in turns to come down from the sofa and run the gauntlet of Fudge :)

I feel happy they will not do anything to harm her and don't mind it all going on but when it has been going on a while should I stop her or just let it carry on, the dogs ignoring her seems to wind her up more :rolleyes:

11. JessiesGirl

You can stop it if you want to or need to, sure! Try to remove Fudge first if Fudge is being a pest, so you are reinforcing what the other dogs have been trying to tell her-that they've had enough, thanks! It helps her learn that the signals the other dogs are giving her mean that they don't want her attention at the moment.

12. kernow

kernow PetForums Newbie

Thanks again, I always remove Fudge to a separate area and leave other dogs as they were, I am letting them give her a couple of warnings and then distracting her with toy and playing in another room.

She does seem to have learnt some manners, early on she was standing over Brandy if she was lay down, leaning into her face and climbing on her neck, she has been told by Brandy and has stopped.

Now some of it does seem that she is inviting play and think she has moderated the nipping and they will tolerate her mouthing, even on Milo's tail, just sometimes she gets over excited and is snarly with it.

On the whole she is doing very well and we love her, at work she is very good, although she wants to be outside more and more and I may have to work Saturdays to catch up :eek: but she sleeps by my desk for a couple of hours in morning and afternoon, just she is so cute folk keep coming in and waking her up. She sleeps through lots of different noises but she knows the voices of those who give her most fuss and is up like a shot :D

She has stopped being fearful in the car and now settles down on the backseat in her harness, still a bit wary getting into the harness but slowly does it.

I'm off to catch up on some sleep, think I have been up and down stairs about 40 times today, well it feels like it.

#12 kernow, Jun 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  13. JessiesGirl

It's probably going to take a little bit longer with her because you got her at 6-7 weeks. Once of the reasons it's often easier to take a pup home at 8-10 weeks is that they've been corrected for overly excitable play by their littermates and their mums for a few more weeks. They're a little better at reading the signals of other dogs.

But even if you brought the pup home at 8-10 weeks, all pups are mouthy. :eek: It sounds as though Fudge is finding her way. :)

Sounds as though things are going pretty well! It's always a shock to see just how mouthy a new pup can be when you haven't had one in awhile. I'd grown up with many litters (my mom shows and breeds) and my first pup on my own still shocked and exhausted me!:scared:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice