Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Will this be ok?

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Jul 21, 2009.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

For my 4ft tank, I am not having guppies as I am going to stick with Platy's and Mollys.
    Can I have 2 dwarf gourami's? And if I do, if my platy's had babies again would they get eaten??

I do plan to have plenty of plants and hiding places, and some bogwood, so would they do for the fry to hide in?

How long do you need to soak bogwood for before putting it in? Or does it not need soaked if I put it in at the start of cycling the tank?

I will prob be on with more questions, but I want to get it right. Not even got my stand or cleaned the tank yet so it will be a while before I even start adding the water!

What can I use to glue stones together with??

x

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Anyone??

x

3. CanIgoHome

CanIgoHome PetForums VIP

I alway soak bogwood til the water goes clear cos all the wood I alway buy make the water turn yellow

#3 CanIgoHome, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  4. CanIgoHome

CanIgoHome PetForums VIP

Tank silicon to glue rocks together
    fry will always get turn to lunch the only way to keep the fry from being eaten is to put the female in a breeding trap before she gives birth but that can also make the female miscarry the fry too so be careful

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Thanks. My oh ask is tank silicone different from normal silicone? I said it was but he is adament its the same.

Maybe I will stay away from the Dwarf Gourami's for the beginning then. I have been told that platys will not eat there own fry, I currently have 3 baby platys in with 3 guppies and 2 platys.

x

6. CanIgoHome

CanIgoHome PetForums VIP

I know they is a different but not sure what it is but fish forums do say don't use normal silicone

All my fish have eaten there own fry if can get in the mouth

7. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

Regular bathroom and kitchen silicone contains fungicide so it shouldn't be used as it will leach these chemicals into the water. I use the aquarium sealants from Geocel. Remember to leave the sealant to cure for a couple of days before filling up the tank.

You can't prevent the wood from leaching tannins and it will continue to do so forever, however you can avoid the worst of it by leaving it in boiled water for a few weeks, replacing the water once it turns a tea-brown colour. ;)

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I have been cleaning the tank today. The runners for the sliding lids were the worst -but I haven't even begun to tackle the sticky! Lol

Ordering my stand on thurs, so I better get collecting bits for my tank and keep cleaning it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice