Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Will they, won't they?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Custard Mite, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Custard Mite

Custard Mite PetForums Junior

Hi all....first post and looking for some advice from you wise cat people if I may please.

DH and I are relocating back to the the U.K. from mainland Europe within the next couple of months and we are bringing our much adored rescue(d) cat with us. The problem is, we are not entirely sure who it would be best to try and insure him with once we get there as he's never been insured before ( pet insurance isn't an option here; people just pay for vet care whenever it is needed and I have to say that, in our experience, it is very good and very reasonably priced)

A bit of background on Sid; my husband found him in our garage on a stormy November evening...cold, wet, hungry and only aged around 7/8 weeks. We assume that he'd been bought as a pet as he had a collar on ( he's also longish haired which none of the feral cats around here are) and that he'd somehow managed to escape and, thank goodness, found his way off the road and into the relative safely of our garage where again, thank goodness, DH didn't run him over as he came in from work:Jawdrop! Anyway, at the time we put up flyers all over the neighbourhood, asked at the local church ( we don't go but most people here do) and spoke to as many people as possible but no one claimed him so he stayed with us....where he happily remains, calling all the shots across his acres of olive terraces and ruling the house with an iron paw:Cat!

So......after giving you Sid's rather Disneyesque life story I guess my actual question really boils down to this: do you think that will we be able to get insurance for a 7 year old neutered cat who doesn't have any vet records to speak of and if so, what will the insurance companies need from us do you think? - our vets here don't really keep records ( yes I know, but believe it or not they are really very good with him and clearly know exactly what they're talking about, they're just a bit disorganised!) and even if they did, they wouldn't be in English so I assume not much point anyway:confused:

Thanks for reading if you got this far!

2. TallulahCat

TallulahCat PetForums VIP

I don't think that should be a barrier to getting insurance, as people can insure if they take on a stray. Most (probably all) insurers insist that the cat has annual health checks, so they may want you to get that done before taking out the policy.

Custard Mite likes this.
  3. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I think if you register with a vet as soon as you get to the UK, you shouldn't have trouble getting insurance. The insurance company will probably ask on the application form who your previous vet was just in case, in the event you do claim, they can contact them if they need to find out any history but, if its something new, it should only involve your UK vet. A lot of people here use Petplan but there are lots of others to choose from.

Custard Mite and chillminx like this.
  4. Custard Mite

Thank you both for your replies TallulahCat and Charity. Hopefully he'll be ok to get insurance then, I just wasn't sure what the companies would do about getting his history as we can't provide it, even if we've had him since he was kitten :confused:As you say though, we'll get him signed up with a local practice as soon as we get there and just take it from there once the vet has checked him over :)

5. kathryn773

kathryn773 PetForums VIP

I don't see the history thing much different to me rescuing Smudge recently. I had no history, just a rspca vets guess as 17 yrs old and assume neutered tho the only way to be sure would be to operate. You know both age and medical history I believe there won't be a problem insuring at all.

Custard Mite likes this.
  6. Custard Mite

Thanks kathryn773 and yes I guess it's the same thing really it's just that I wasn't sure if the insurance companies would be happy to accept that we didn't have a 'formal' history from a vet, seeing as Sid isn't technically a rescue...if you know what I mean. Anyway, we will see what happens when we get him home and fingers crossed we can get him insured without too much trouble :)

kathryn773 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice