Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Will they suffer?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by peppapug, Aug 3, 2009.

1. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

I am having a bit of a time of it at teh moment.
    I run a recruitment business in a recession! As you can imagine business is terrible and we have had to give up a floor of the office. i have always taken my pugs to work with me. By going down to one floor they can't come. The general public comes in and they wont appreciate being barked at, that and the dogs arent insured to be in public areas.

So, now what!

Being a companion breed they really suffer being left at home despite having each other. i am meeting with two dog walkers but i am worried one lunch time walk in a full working day wont stimulate them enough. I did come home today and already this evening my older pug is showing signs of anxiety, licking obsessively around teh floors.

What is the fairest plan? Really despairing. I hate to see them sad but i have to work. A dog walker will cost £200 / month so cant really do much more financially.

i need some help/advice :(

2. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

Sorry to hear about that :( It's crazy how far this recession has hit...

It can be done - plenty of people do exactly what you intend to do. Being able to take your dogs to work is a huge luxury, and i guess that's all they know now? What are you working hours and how long would you be able to spend at home during your lunch?

As for logistics - £200 smackers is quite a bit! If i were you, i would do the dog walker however for the first month and reduce the visits each month thereafter, whilst also coming home on your lunch breaks. Slowly breaking them into a new routine. Unless you have a neighbour or relative who can help you get them into the new routine?

Whilst there at home alone, there should be quite a bit you can do to help them - kongs etc, but as there is two, i think they'll be pretty good at entertaining eachother as well, which is a huge bonus! If you believe they are going to suffer with SA , you can do things like get DAP stuff to help relax and calm them.

You have loads of options, so don't stress or feel mean!!

3. peppapug

I know it is a real luxury taking them to work but they have both been in the office full time since 8 weeks old. My older pug is coming up for 3 and it is her that really gets depressed. After all they are bred only to be with people!

i cant commit to coming home every lunch time. The dog walker i was hoping to do the lunchtime walk but you are right £200 is a lot of money, right now when i am taking a pay cut!

My panic is both guilt and the logistics. Whatever i do it won't be enough but i guess i am not the first working owner. My hours are 8-5pm.

I will of course do the kong and leave the TV on.

how does everyone else cope with working full time with a companion breed?

4. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Aww i feel for you and your dogs :(

Is there any friend/family member/neighbour that could pop in a couple of times a day?

5. peppapug

No, tried that route. i feel for my dogs :(

Am i really the only person dealing with working full time, where are you all :confused:

6. r_neupert

Not sure if mine are classed as companions? Probably not... but they are high maintenance!!

For my tuppence anyway, full time worker as is my partner. We come home for both our lunches at seperate times for nearly a full hour, and have opposite days off so they have 4 days with us solely.

When we're out we leave frozen treats/kong/rawhide, tv/radio on, skylight open, water, and a healthy rotation of random toys. One is pretty destructive, but we learn to get around that. We walk them 3 times a day, i find they tend to be awake for the morning after the walk, then sleep in the afternoon. If you wear them out before they leave, i bet they'll just snooze :D

Neither suffer with SA, but are used to the routine, they know what the deal is...!! I'm sure yours will learn with time, but you'll need to do it super slow to avoid it coming back on you.

7. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

There are quite a few people who work full time that have dogs there was a thread about it in dog chat. I think.

I work from home and when my daughters dad has her i do some hours book keeping.

8. Dundee

Dundee Banned

I'm self employed so my hours are varied. I don't work away every day, but I do get a dog walker in when I'm away a full day. It costs me £20 for two dogs, so really £200 for a month sounds very reasonable.

I'm sure they will adapt to their new routine.

9. peppapug

It's only a 30 minute walk a day but that is plenty for my pugs. It is £7.50 a day and they get walked with another 2 dogs. The thing with pugs is they need company more than exercise but i guess they will get used to a new routine.

10. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I am not sure that being classed as a companion dog makes any difference, they are dogs and they have each other so should be fine being left. They will learn to sleep the day away.

11. peppapug

No you are probably right. They currently spend all day sleeping under my desk........maybe if i leave a pair of heels out for them to sleep on they wont notice i'm not in them!!! :p

12. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

It might take a while for them to get used to their new routine, but i'm sure they will adapt and be fine with it. Do you go out and leave them home for a few hours at the weekend or evening at the moment?

13. r_neupert

Would their time be better spent being played with and let out rather than walked then? Can't say i know the prices of these sort of things - but if they're not dogs that need lots of walking, it may be cheaper and potentially provide them with more interaction than just exercise alone.

14. peppapug

Yes they are fine being left at the weekend. It is the everyday thing they won't like but they dont complain it is just the older one withdraws and starts obsessively licking the carpet and floors!!!

Let this be a warning to people! I think i am being a good owner as they come every where with me but things change and then it is harder for them to adapt.

It is the same price whether they are walked or played with. I will leave it to the walker to make that decision. i think as she walks two others in my street she wants to walk them together. That will at least wear them out.

15. r_neupert

If you tap DAP into google it mentions it being able to help compulsive lickers!!

16. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Hi, I think that after a short while your dogs will adjust, and probably sleep more during the day, and enjoy spending time in your company when you are not at work.

Lol I remember when I was at school.. my head teachers lab had puppies. He set up their bed in his horse box so he could bring them to school and check on them between classes and break times! I know that's no help sorry but I just remembered it.

I'm sure your dogs wil adjust to a new routine :) And they do have eachother while you are out.

x

17. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Would it not be possible to put a pen in the back corner of the office? That should solve the insurance problem, as the public visitors would not have direct contact with the dogs.
    Though as everyone else has said, they should adapt.

18. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Is there anyway you can have a big cage/run and keep them in a back area? or is it not practical at all? x

19. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

I was going to say this?

:)

20. peppapug

No, it is the barking that will be the problem as people come in. Reception is fairly open plan to the office so it would drive them nuts!

I have used a DAP for her licking. It made no difference. It is just a pug thing but it is made worse by anxiety. Her mouth was foaming from licking the carpet last night.....yuk!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice