Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Will the UK identify my boxer as "Pit Bull Type"?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Alexkat222, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Alexkat222

Alexkat222 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone! I have recently gotten engaged and am hoping to join my partner in the UK! The biggest challenge I'm facing is the relocation of my beloved dog, Lola.

Lola is 7 years old and a rescue. She loves giving kisses, swimming at the beach, and is scared of hats. Throughout her life vets have identified her as a "boxer mix". After doing tons of research of how to safely transport "snubbies" I hit another road block when I discovered that the UK relies on observing a dog physically to determine if it should be considered a "Pit Bull Type" instead of say looking at DNA results or documentation from veterinarians.

After reaching out to pet relocation services, the Pet Scheme office, the Status Dog Unit, and the Heathrow Animal Reception Centre I feel no closer to the answer of whether my Lola will be identified as pit bull type. Does anyone have advice on this subject? When the dogs are collected off the plane are they immediately sent to a BSL trained person to be measured and identified as pit bull type? Does anyone have clear guidelines that show me what the officer would be looking for? Also just based on pictures of Lola do you think she will be identified as pit bull type?

Attached Files:

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

She does not look much like a boxer and certainly not like a pit bull so I would imagine if you call her a boxer cross you will be fine. As you say it is the type that is judged here not the breed but she really does not look of type to me anyway.

Calvine likes this.
  3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It's hard to tell from those photos. Can you take one of her just standing, side on, taken from the same level i.e. you sitting on the floor?
    Her face could fall under 'type', but her legs look too long.

Torin. likes this.
  4. Billbailey

Billbailey Banned

She looks quite a lot like my boy who is a boxer/staffy cross. There's a lot of staffy cross in this country so I would put her down as that and not worry about it. She certainly doesn't look a pit bull type to me. She's not muscley or stocky enough.

5. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I'd say a Boxer cross as well from your pictures she doesn't look the right build for am pit bull type.

6. Alexkat222

Alexkat222 PetForums Newbie

Do these help at all?

Attached Files:

Burrowzig likes this.
  7. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Unfortunately no one can tell you definitively whether she's be 'typed' as it's dependent on the subjective view of one person at that particular time. If a DLO says she's NOT type then she cannot be typed at a later date.
    Personally she doesn't look pitty to me but you can't really get the best idea of size and shape from photos.

Katalyst, Sairy and Torin. like this.
  8. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Ridgeback/Boxer cross if I was guessing with no other info.

9. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

On the basis of those pictures, no-one in their right mind could think she looks like a pit bull type.

10. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

Could you speak to someone like these guys for advice on the process?

Also on what your options would be should the worst happen and someone decide she was of type ie could you go through the exemption process here if you had to ?

https://deednotbreed.org.uk

11. Alvina

Alvina PetForums Junior

The dangerous dogs act provides measurements of the characteristics of an "pit Bull" if the majority of those measurements are met according to the act it's a pitbull type.

12. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Yes but the problem with the 'measurements' is that some of them aren't actual measurements but general looks, meaning one person might say it conforms to tyoe whereas another would disagree. It's ridiculous.

Alvina likes this.
  13. Alvina

Alvina PetForums Junior

I agree it is ridiculous, the act is outdated and inutile.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice