Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Will my Maine Coon run away now I have a new kitten?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by nicolanicola, Aug 25, 2013.

1. nicolanicola

nicolanicola PetForums Junior

My Maine coon Lynxy is 2. I love him dearly. But lately he's been quite distant and not as loving as he once was. He has also become more bitey, ill be stroking him then he'll bite and it's dam sore!

So to compensate for the companionship I have lost with him I got a kitten. She is about 7 weeks. She's playful and friendly. But since I got her he's being hissing at her, I know, to be expected, and he's gone out more than usual. In fact he's normally in when I get up and he's not now :*-(.

So I am wondering if I have made a dreadful mistake and I need to take this kitten back. I love Lynxy so much, I don't want him to leave and not come back or be less distant from me. I feel so sad and bewildered as to what to do.

Last night he became more investigative of her, rather than hissing if she approached him, he approached her sniffing, but still hissing. So I do think that's progress. But all the same, I don't want him to love me less and not come home.

Please offer any advice.

#1 nicolanicola, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  2. egyptianreggae

egyptianreggae PetForums VIP

As you say, it's a positive sign that he's checking her out and hissing less. I think it'd be a good idea to check out why he might be more distant towards you though- if he's neutered and has no underlying health problems that might be making him grumpy, he may be biting just because he's had enough of being stroked and fussed. Some cats are naturally more loving and affectionate than others and cats will only give/receive affection on their own terms. My cat Tiny never solicits strokes or cuddles unless he's hungry (and so has an ulterior motive!) He will tolerate a certain amount of fuss at other times but I know I'll get a nip if I push my luck. It might just be a matter of finding a compromise with your Lynxy and a level of contact you both feel comfortable with. I'm lucky that my other cat, Simba, is much more affectionate and likely to humour me up to a point even if he's not in the mood for cuddles!

3. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

I am no expert but at 2 my guess he was maturing and becoming more independent, I don't think your reason for getting a kitten is a valid one - it isn't about what you want it is a partnership. However there seem to be positives in the last paragraph you need to give him the same level of attention as you do the kitten or you will isolate him and he will resent you and the kitten.

4. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

A 7 week old kitten is really far too young to be away from its mother yet, kittens should really stay with their mother and siblings till they are at least 12 weeks old. But what is done, is done,, I doubt if the 'breeder' will take the kitten back with the mother for a month or so, so you will have to play mummy to her as best you can.

As far as Lynxy is concerned, he will probably see this new kitten as an intruder, so you need to assure him she is as much part of the family as he is. Scent-swapping is a good way to make them bond. Give the baby (what is her name, by the way) a cat bed or blanket of Lynxy to sleep on, or better still, rub an old shirt of yours on Lynxy's fur, so it smells of both you and Lynxy, and put it in the baby's cat bed.

Also, when the little one wants to sleep, let him rest on your chest and shoulder, to make him feel snug and safe with his 'mummy'... When the baby smells of you and Lynxy, he will accept her far more readily. However, you will need to supervise their encounters till they have fully accepted each other and untill you are sure Lynxy doesn't want to playfight with her, as the difference in size and strength is far to great.

You say Lynxy doesn't come in like he used to...
    Do you mean he can roam free, or do you have a cat-proofed garden?
    I would really try to cat-proof your garden to keep your cats safe. Not only do you risk them being run over, but there are some people who would be quite ready to steal a cat that looks like a pedigree.

I guess Lynxy has been neutered, but if not, it is high time to do so, as being an entire tom will only serve to make him roam more and further, in search of a willing female. Most of the incurable feline diseases are spread by mating, and by entire toms fighting over females, so protecting your cats from contracting these diseases is another reason to neuter and cat-proof.

5. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Cookieandme and Jk are spot on in their replies

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice