Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Will my cat be ok alone for two weeks?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kbhenry, Jun 3, 2010.

1. kbhenry

kbhenry PetForums Junior

I am worried about leaving my cat alone for 2 weeks while we go on holiday and just having someone come in and feed him once a day. We got him from the rescue centre 4 months ago where he was in a cage for 6 months. This is why I am thinking it isn't a good idea to put him in a cattery.

He gets bored generally and goes out for a minute or two a day when he can pluck the courage up. Although its probably best he isn't let out when we are away. Do you think he will get fed up?

Will he be ok alone all day or should I get someone in twice a day (expensive as that would be)?

From someone who is never usually worries about pets. Silly really.

x

2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

2 weeks is a long time to be left on his own with ony 1 visit a day & you have only had him 4 months. I have 2 cats so they at least have each other for company but the longest I've left them is for a week with someone coming in twice a day (my sister who not only feeds them but spends time playing with them as well).
    Is there anyone you could get to pop in & play with him during the day? If not then I would advise 2 visits a day & speak to the pet sitter about maybe spedning a bit time playing with him during the vists. Get him some new toys (nothing that could choke or get him tangled), something interactive, new scratch posts/climbing frames, etc to try & keep him occupied.

3. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

Alot of my family members do this with their dogs. Distant if I may add :mad: Why rely on other people to pop in and feed them when you go away?? Put them in a boarding kennels!!

4. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't put one of my cats in a cattery again simply because he was so stressed by it all. He's usually such a confident cat so it was horrible to see him so upset by the experience despite the place being lovely.
    Because of the animals we no longer have more than a week at a time away as I don't want to leave them any longer. Luckily my sister helps out whne I go away just as I do when she is away, it works well for us; the animals know the person looking after them & they get to stay in their own environments.

5. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Ive looked after someones cats before with just a once a day visit. Mind you they had over 50!!:eek:and it did involve a vet visit for an abcess..
    I certainly wouldnt do it again!LOL:rolleyes:

6. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

aw its a hard one but my mother leaves hers two weeks at a time and I feed him but I also spend a couple of hours there just watching tv etc and patting him so it feels like a homely environment still. Can the person looking in do that ?

7. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

I echo this post - we go away for a week at a time and we leave our two at home but we have someone go in twice a day to feed/water/play/empty litter trays etc. And they have each other for company and are house cats. I think twice a day is the minimum they should be checked on/fed etc.

8. Ammy

Ammy PetForums Member

SNAP!!!!!

Didnt see this- I have posted something very similar!!!!!

However my cat is mental :D lovely but nuts!!!!

9. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I once left my cats alone for 9 days with my neighbour coming in twice a day to feed them and clean the litter trays etc. She also stayed here for an hour or so a couple of times a day to give them company and some love!!

Its better if the person who is looking after them can spend a little time with them. It also gives them chance to see if one is ill or unhappy etc

10. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

It is a long time to be completely alone - I always get a friend who knows jinks well to come and feed him twice a day and to let out/in etc and I always tell them to give him a cuddle too lol xx

11. fishtankswimming

fishtankswimming PetForums Member

Good luck with what you decide? Do you have anyone who could move in for the 2 weeks? That's what I usually do, mind you they do drive my mate nuts lol:D and when I looked after another mate's cat I moved in her house (didn't have mine at the time lol) x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice