Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Will he stop this when he's neutered?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by lulubel, Oct 8, 2013.

1. lulubel

lulubel PetForums Senior

I'm sitting here at 11pm, playing loud music, so I can't hear the stand-off that's going on between Zack and another tom cat from down the road.

Zack isn't neutered yet because I haven't managed to get him in a carrier yet. (He's a stray that turned up at my house, he's very strong, and I'm on my own. I'm going to have to ask my neighbour to help.) Will this stop when he's neutered, or is it the other cat that's causing all the problem? Zack's in his own "territory" and the other cat comes down here to intimidate him. Will he carry on standing up to it when he's done, or will he just get out of the way? Am I going to have to start restricting his freedom?

I can't get to them because they're on someone's land opposite, and it's well fenced, and there are dogs. The dogs ignore the cats, but they wouldn't ignore someone climbing over the gates .....

2. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

The longer he has been allowed to do it the longer it may take longer for him to stop, try pet remedy sprays. :)

3. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

I think the other tom is entire, too, so they are competing for the right to mate on their territory, and to impress any females with their prowess......

Once he has been neutered and the hormones have gone from his blood, he will not be a rival for the females any more, so the other tom may not even bother to challenge him.

We have two kinds of stand-offs over here, the very loud and violent ones between the entire toms, and the - much less violent - ones between neutered toms. I have never seen any of the entire toms challenge one of the neutered cats, but I have seen the neutered toms team up to chase away an entire tom from their territory.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice