Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

will he be ok with another cat? bit worried due to previous reactions....

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by mummiesofRio, Jun 8, 2010.

1. mummiesofRio

mummiesofRio PetForums Member

We'd really love to get another kitten as a companion for Rio & have thought that it'd be best to wait until the end of the year when hopefully we'll be moving house. But we're just a bit worried because we have quite a few cats that come into our garden & sometimes when Rio's at the back door, if a cat goes past he stiffens up, ears pinned right back & quivers. Once, he was out pottering by my feet, another cat came near so I picked him up & he was staring it out, then as it walked away he hissed at it :frown: hes an indoor cat & we ot him at 10 weeks so other than his brothers & sisters, he's not had any contact with cats.

I must say though, there is one cat (a very good looking lady cat ;)) that he doesn't seem to mind. I'd be devestated if we got another kitten & they didn't get on,especially as he'll be around 14 months by the time we get another addition & therefore, maybe too old to introduce another cat?

I just wondered what everyone else thought? From what you've read, do you think he'd be ok with another cat? or are some cats just not compatible with others?

2. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

I got Gypsy when Indy was 2 and she was 1 and they are getting on great but Indy was desperate for company...

not all cats need company so I would play it by ear when you are in your new place?

3. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

We introduced another cat when our Paws was 2,initially there was hissing etc but they became firm friends and when the younger(Gizmo) died Paws pined for him and sat over his grave.I guess only you know your cat and deep down you will have an idea as to whether this could work or not. I know that with my present cat,Scamp,that he needed to be an only cat:)

4. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

We've introduced cats of all ages.....most recently two around 10week old kittens to a 9 year old male and 15 year old female....started out bad, but now its all cool, unless the kittens who are now coming up for 11months get too boisturus

5. mummiesofRio

It's hard to tell really....it's strange, sometimes he can be really loving but other times he's like a wild cat, ears pinned back, biting & hissing (i have to say, he's only done this about twice) but for no reason....he was having a cuddle & then just turned....for absolutely no reason.

A bit of background....We rescued him from a pet shop, we never intended to buy any animals from a pet shop as we don't agree with it but we went into a local one one day & he was there on his own, lethargic & there was no way we could have left him there. After several trips back & forth from the vets during the first couple of months of us having him they finally did tests & Rio was found to have so many parasites in his body it was off the scale that they showed us, he nearly died. We were furious & went back to the pet shop, demanding to know his background. When she looked into her files, she said that she had no record of him. Then we remembered that on the day we got him, the woman told us the news that a litter had been abandoned behind the shops & someone had handed them into her....no guesses as to where Rio came from then....

To be honest, we're just glad that we rescued him & have given him the best life we possibly can but if he spent his first 9 weeks or so living a feral life, this could explain his behaviour, or am i wrong? sorry to go on a bit but just thought i'd give you the whole picture & to explain a bit more as to why we're more worried about him than we perhaps usually would be.

Thanks for reading :thumbup:

6. mummiesofRio

bump :thumbup:

7. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

Hmmm I don't know. I've always had single cats and I'm of the mind they don't necessarily need company as they are lone animals in the wild. If he's not showing any signs of stress of being a lone cat I wouldn't fix what isn't broke.

Our cat is a rescue and she can't live with other cats. She was rescued by a lovely couple who had to give her back to the rescue because she was just too stressed living with another cat, some cats just want to be lone cats. She goes mad if she sees another cat. On the other hand she is fine with dogs and gets on well with our Ridgeback :D

As I say I have no experience of introducing cats to each other so someone might be able to help with that.

8. mummiesofRio

maybe he's just not an animal lover....when we visit the in-laws Rio stalks their dog (who was 'raised' by cats & even cleans himself like a cat! & who treats Rio as a grandad would treat a boistrous grandson - just letting him be) but Rio stalks him & often will give him a crafty smack (without claws) when he thinks he can get away with it! & as for our hamster....he'd love nothing more than to get his grubby little paws on her & has pulled her cage down before now, as well as launching himself across the room when we're giving her a cuddle! :rolleyes: don't you just love 'em?!

9. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

he may not be an animal lover lol

10. cheyenne

cheyenne PetForums Newbie

when we decided to bring angel home the guys at cat protection had said that a family had to bring her back because she didn't get on with the other cats! i knew how to introduce cats to eachother slowly from experience and really wanted to give it another try! well... it was tricky at first and she didn't want to be near the other two cats! harry loved her and wanted to play but she wouldn't have it. she would hiss at him whenever he came to her! jez couldn't stand her lol! throughout the first year she was unsettled around jez and harry but did not seem stressed to be in a multicat household! and jez just kept his distance! it has now been 2 years and they are now happy to be in the same room together, all three of them sleep together on me and hubbys bed and they will eat together in the utility room! angel will play with harry now but only for a couple of minutes, then she will get fed up with him and pop him with her paw! harry just walks off then cos he knows thats the end of playtime! jez and angel are fine together now!

im not saying for one minute that you should get another cat! but from experience i found that introducing angel more sensitively to my other two worked! it took a long time for all three of them to feel comfortable with eachother though!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice