Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Will breeding affect temperament?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Bobbyd, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Bobbyd

Bobbyd PetForums Newbie

We have a 14mth old male french bulldog. If we breed him once before we get him 'done' will this affect his behaviour. I have had differing advice. I have been told that he will become aggressive with other dogs and he will cock his leg in the house (although he squats when he wees) but I have also heard that it won't change him at all. I would appreciate some advice.

2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I think it is one of those things that you won't know about until it happens as every dog is different.

I take it he is an outstanding example of his breed if you are considering using him at stud? and that you have researched health conditions in the breed and have completed any health tests that are applicable? and that you are an expert on the breeding process, handling a stud dog, handling the bitch, advising the bitch owner if need be, etc.?

3. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

I can't really help with regards to the potential for temperament change, I'm sure there will be someone along who can answer that question.

I have to ask though, if you are getting him neutered anyway why do you want him to sire a litter first? Breeding will bring him no benefit whatsoever, it's not an 'experience' that he will be missing out on if he doesn't get to do it.

Does he have all the relevant health tests in place? I'm not talking about a once over from a vet but the BVA health testing schemes appropriate for the breed. You can find some information about the health tests for French bulldogs on these pages;

French Bulldog - Dog Breed Health

French Bulldog Club of England Health Scheme

Due to their conformation Frenchies have the potential to be affected by a range of conditions (listed on the Dog Breed Health page) so it's vital that breeding is only undertaken with great care so puppies have the highest possible chances of not being affected by the health issues that can't be tested for.

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

All dogs are different, so I don't think its something that anyone can say 100% if it will or wont and if it does to what degree.

I have known people use their dog at stud though and they have become a proverbial pain after and it has made changes in their behaviour that wasn't good. If you go ahead its a risk you would have to take, and bearing in mind if it does change him or create problems then you have got to try and rectify them and if you cant fully you will have to live with them.

For the sake of breeding him once, personally I wouldn't bother. It was often thought that letting a bitch have a litter before getting her spayed was a good idea which has been proven as outdated and utter rubbish. It may be a case of the old adage what you don't have you don't miss, and your better leaving well alone.

If you were going to stud him and responsibly then he would need the specific health tests too, not just a quick veterinary once over. Details of the health tests they should undergo plus the French bulldog of Britain health scheme certificates that undergoes further tests are on the link below, again you would need to ensure that the dam has the tests too.

French Bulldog – Dog Breed Health

Personally adding the possible risks of creating behaviour problems or a change in him, and what you would need to do to breed him responsibly and the financial implications of the tests alone, all for the sae of one litter I would leave well alone to be honest.

5. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

It depends very much on the dog. I have 4 males who have been used as stud, 3 whippets and 1 chihuahua. The whippets if I am perfectly honest haven't really changed temperament wise but the chihuahua who did not intentionally sire a litter it was an accident when my OH forgot the bitch was in season and let them out together has changed. He sizes up the other males and although it has not resulted in a fight we do have to watch him he has also started cocking his leg in the house and scent marking on anything he can.

Unless he is a good specimen of the breed has passed all the health tests required for the breed and can offer the breed something to help improove the breed I would just keep him as a pet and not use him as a stud you never know how it will effect him and castrating him may not help with any changes to his temperament.

6. blakesmum

blakesmum PetForums Junior

as others have already said. all dogs are different. i can only tell you of my own experience. my boy is used for stud and now cock's his leg in the house and poo's if given the chance, ie my spare bedroom is the only place he does so if i forget to close the door. out on walks, he has been known to try and mount other dogs, not just bitches, but castrated males. they only dogs he will not try this on with are other entire males, if they are reasonably 'dominant'. due to this, he get lead walked the majority of the time as i live in an area, where there are alot of dog walkers, who mostly walk their dogs off-lead. on the other hand, he is a sweetheart in the house, very laid back to the point that he is almost horizontal. i'm sure other's will post who may have had different experiences than my own, but i will re-iterate that putting a dog to stud CAN change their behaviour :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice