Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

will breeders move on price?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by clairescunny55, Jun 27, 2009.

1. clairescunny55

clairescunny55 PetForums Member

the breeder i've found is £695 for a cocker pup health tested parents kc reg first vaccs and microchipped, do you think it is reasonable for me to offer or is it cheeky?

#1 clairescunny55, Jun 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  2. Boston

Boston PetForums Member

Personally i wouldnt its puts me off the person if they try and bargin me down on the price.
    I put my puppies at the price i want if i wanted to put them at ie 600.00 then i would.
    Just what i think personally but i think it would put the breeder off and maybe they will think twice about you having a pup.

3. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

My dad's missus breeds cats, she said to me when buying my pup breeders don't haggle with price.

4. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I personally wouldn't budge, I'd feel a little insulted and someone could end up leaving with a flea in their ear :)

It would be like the breeder asking you, if you can't afford to pay X amout, how are you going to pay for feeding, vac's and the like.

5. basi

basi PetForums Senior

I agree I wouldn't budge on price either.

6. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

We dont drop prices as there are still people out there that are looking for health tested pups - we feel if someone wants to haggle they can go elsewhere and haggle with some one who doesnt care for the pups and their well being so much

1 person likes this.
  7. carol

carol PetForums VIP

i had a person try that with me years ago thought ****** cheek

8. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

Dont do it! I agree with the majority!

9. clairescunny55

clairescunny55 PetForums Member

ok thanks everyone i won't ask :) just save a bit harder :D

10. cav

cav PetForums VIP

I would not drop a price of a pup and would feel insulted after all the time and hard work that as been put in to the litter!
    So my advice is........ dont ask.

11. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

its a cheek. i wouldn't budge and you'd be on your way.

12. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I wouldn't sell someone a pup if they asked to lower the price. When we had the pups I was selling them for £100 and someone asked ''will you give me one for 80 seeing as they're a cross?'' they didn't get one.

x

13. poochimama

poochimama PetForums Senior

i agree dont haggle it doesnt look good esp after all the hard work and effort put in to rearing pup its an insult

14. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

You'll need to save up a lot more than the amount the pup costs as well, people don't realise how expensive it can be owning a dog, you just seem to absorb the extra costs, the obvious ones (food, collars, leads, toys, vets bills, insurance etc) and the hidden costs you don't count on (eg baby gates to stop them having access to all areas, replacement shoes/socks/rugs etc, spay/neuter op etc). I did a table of costs (with help off members from a dog forum) to put in my puppy pack, just to show how expensive dog ownership can be, and it cost approx £2,000 in the first 18 months to two years.

15. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

£2000 - yikes! That is probably about right, and I am probably about on track but I felt so much better with the costs being hidden :eek:
    As long as my OH doesn't see this, I can get away with it!

16. reddogs

reddogs PetForums Senior

Ah but you've forgotten to add in the new car because the old one isn't suitable, the new house because you need more garden etc etc etc :D

17. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

Funny you should mention - I just broached the idea of moving house to OH yesterday... He said no, but then he said no initially to getting one dog, and then no to getting a second one - we pick up our second puppy early August ;)
    Seen a lovely house, with a great garden and round the corner from some really nice parks... :lol:

18. Personally I wouldn't!!! and I don't think I would sell a pup to anyone that tried!
    BUT!!!! maybe you could be honest with the breeder and say something like!
    In all honesty I really did not want to pay above xxx amount !!!

I have a limit I would pay for my breed! but do not know what the average for yours is!
    DT

19. bird

bird PetForums VIP

The vast majority of DECENT breeders would be insulted. Unless you realise what goes into not just the feeding initial injections etc of the puppies but the care of the bitch before mating and during pregnancy, the money asked in a lot of cases is actually quite reasonable. However as we are in a credit crunch I have noticed that prices do seem to be coming down slightly but I think that is in cases where the pups are not sold from a waiting list.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice