Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Will a flea collar be enough?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by K1nS, Apr 13, 2011.

1. K1nS

K1nS PetForums Senior

We noticed on Tilly this morning she has little black spots around her chest/neck area, we havent seen anything anywhere else so maybe the fleas have gone? So was just wondering if a flea collar will be enough for her?

2. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

i really dont rate flea collars hun they are really not very effective at all, i would use a spot on such as frontline, it will kill any fleas within 24 hours and protect her for 6 months. Sometimes fleas are hard to spot if its only a small infestation hope this helps

3. K1nS

K1nS PetForums Senior

Ok thanks alot hun, will pick some up for her today then :) Cant have her suffering

4. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

The flea collars now available are pretty pants to be honest. I gave up on them about 5 years ago when the brand I liked was discontinued.

There are many spot-on options available for flea treatment. Frontline is the most common but quite a lot of people are finding that this is no longer as effective as it used to be. I am one of them. I recently treated mine with Advocate, from the vet, as it had quite decent reviews and so far it seems to have done the job. There were no allergic reactions from either of my boys and I didn't find it too smelly either.

You could pop in or call your vet and ask them for a recomendation if you're still not sure.

5. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

yeah i agree personally iv not had any problems with frontline but i have heard that its not as good as it used to be i have also used advocate both are good imo :)

6. K1nS

K1nS PetForums Senior

Ive got her some of wilkinsons own brand spot on flea treatment, just a quick question though, this lasts up at 8 weeks, will she need it done again if shes going to be an indoor cat?

7. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Is that the one at £2'odd, that repels fleas?

8. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Hmmmmm don't really know to be honest. You might have to spray the house as well to be on the safe side.

Personally, I have never used an own-brand flea repellant - I am really fussy about what chemicals I put onto my cats and prefer to use a vet-recommended one. I have heard of bad reactions to many of the supermarket shelf products to risk trying them. I peronally wouldn't touch Bob Martins for example but other people may not have a problem with this brand.

Please let us know how it goes and if it works. They may turn out to be a surprising very good, cheap option.

9. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Flea collars are at best ineffective and at worse dangerous in some cases!

Do be careful with over the counter flea preparations though. It's always best to buy the veterinary products. I remember the Bob Martin one got some very alarming reviews, inducing reactions in cats who ended up on fluids at the vets. Google and you'll see!

You can buy a version of Frontine online without a prescription cheaper but lots of people have found this to be ineffective though this may only apply with long term use-at least this is my experience.

10. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Good advice form MoggyBaby and Ianthi, best to buy from vets :)

Hope you get sorted, remember you will need to treat home and hot wash all bedding regularly.

11. K1nS

K1nS PetForums Senior

Oh I didnt know it would cause a problem :( I thought they was all the same, I did see the bob martin one and I do actually remember hearing some stories about those so thats why I picked this one up... maybe it would be just as good as the others though if no one has tried :)

12. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I can't see any on-line reviews for it so you will need to let us know how you get on. :)

13. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

i really wouldn't use wilkinsons own brand unless you have to, supermarket brands have little or no effect and deff doesnt last 8 weeks at that. My friends cat had fleas when she got him, she used wilkinsons spot on and a week later he still had fleas she used front line and they were dead by the next day. Dont know if its the same one as this was over a year ago

14. K1nS

K1nS PetForums Senior

Ok well so far we havent seen any fleas on her, just little black spots (poo?) so not really sure if she has them, ive just done this as a procortion

15. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

K1ns, if she has flea dirt in her coat and she wasn't treated for fleas since then then she will almost certainly still have fleas - they're really fast moving so once you start parting her coat to look they're difficult to see, unless with a very heavy infestation. And at this time of year as it's starting to get warmer you often have a sudden population explosion of the horrible things :(

Any treatments labelled 'repellants' tend not be effective *at all*; they don't contain the chemical(s) that actually kills fleas, it just repels them as it says on the packaging. Fleas don't really live on the cat but in the cat's environment so if you don't treat the environment (with a suitable can of something you can buy either from the vet or on-line - much cheaper) then you've not a hope of getting ridding of them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice