Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

will a clipper guard work better on a 30 blade??

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by groomers82, Apr 4, 2011.

1. groomers82

groomers82 PetForums Junior

Hello again,

I'm being a real pain tonight - sorry!

I'm currently useing the Wahl switchblade clippers and as I stated in my previous thread Im having some trouble just useing the blade on its own so I have to use my clipper guards... But then I'm finding there not aking enough off even if I just use the lowest guard.

I'm putting the clipper guard on a 10 blade... Do you think it will cut the dogs hair shorter if I used a 30 blade with my clipper guard???

Many thanks for your advice & help.

2. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

Definitely give the 30 blade a try it should help take more off. We generally use a 40 blade with our clipper guards (which I'm guessing are the same as comb attachments?)
    Just checking it is a comb attachment you're using before I give you wrong advice lol

3. groomers82

Hi there,

Yes thats them ha ha....
    Do you prefer useing comb attachments?

Regards,

4. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

I must admit I'm quite a fan of comb attachments. I use them on my dog Suki, She's a Bedlington. It just gives her top coat a fuller look.
    I used a 2 comb attachment with a 40 blade today on a Westie, and it worked out really well, it look the coat short to how the owners like it and there is less blending required than with clipping.
    We use them a lot of Labradoodle, They really do give the coat a nice flow to it. We do have plastic comb attachments, rather than the metal ones.

5. groomers82

Ah see that sounds really good - I'm going to purchase a 40 blade now, because I do love using the comb attachments and No 2 & No 3 are the ones I use the most but on a 10 blade - Which to be honest doesn't look like it does anything.

I do alot of westies and thats why i thought I'd purchase a 5f blade and just do it this way... But it doesn't work haha, I call myself a dog groomer lol! I dred everytime i get my clippers out... Poor dogs.

6. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

I've been dog grooming for 3years now and I know there are certain dogs that come in who I dread to do cause no matter what blades I use whether it's blades or comb attachments, I'm never happy with the end result, cause there is either clipper lines or like you say it feels like nothings come off. It can be a nightmare. You'll get there though..

7. groomers82

Thank you so much for all your advice and help,

I've just purchased a 40 blade so hopefully this will do the trick!

Many thanks. x

8. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

Let me know how you get on. Hope it helps. Just don't do what a girl at our Salon did by mistake and forget to put the guard on. a 40 is down to the skin lol.
    Bexi x

9. groomers82

Oh my goodness lol... Poor dog,

when I was trainging I thought I had the thinning scissors in my hand but they was just the normal scissors... Poor dogs ears!

Still have nightmares about that now lol. xx

P.s I'll let you know how I get on, Thank you for your help.

10. lilacbabe

lilacbabe PetForums Member

:)
    I wouldnt use comb attachments with a 40 blade if its metal combs you use as the teeth of the blade will just break.

You should use a 10,15 or a 30 blade and that should work fine . Perhaps your no10 blade is a bit blunt ? and thats why it is not working .

I have whall metal comb attachments and an Andis clipper and I allways use a 30 blade when I use the combs:)

I use Andis blades and when I do westies that have to be short I use the 5f or the 7f blade on them.If you want a more natural look and the dog has got quite a long coat I would use the 30 blade allong with one of my whal ss combs and it leaves the coat slightly longer more natural looking and you can blend easier down in to the skirt and feathers .It just depends on what look the owner wants as to what blade I use but also you have to take in to consideration the coat type i.e. curly, straight , fine ,thick. You can also use reverse clipping with the combs on a really thick coated dog as this also leaves a great finnish, more natural and with the thick coated Westies it works better than a 5f .Also the chance of leaving clipper lines on a thick coated Westie is lessened by reverse clipping with the comb attachment .

#10 lilacbabe, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
    NattyP likes this.
  11. groomers82

Yes see thats what I've got metal wahl comb attachments... And my problem is me not taking enough off the dog, and when I use blades it takes too much off and leaves the coat looking shocking,

I have 2 regular westies, 1 with a thick pure white coat and the other very thing wire coat... The guard on the thinner coat looks nice but the guard on the thicker coats doesn't look like I've touched it so thats why I got my 5f out...

12. lilacbabe

lilacbabe PetForums Member

With the thicker coated dog try reverse clipping , start with a comb that will take just a little off to start with and then you can shift down and use a shorter one untill you get the length you want.
    Using a 5f blade on a thick coat is sometimes difficult as the coat may also be packed with undercoat and the change of getting a neat finnish is hard so try the reverse method and see if that helps .

Also have PM'd you :)

13. groomers82

yes I do that but again it still never looks enough - but then again looking on the floor it looks enough ha ha... Its not just a westie it ever soft coated breed with the blades... Blade lines all over the coat!

Thank you lisning to me and helping me, you and missbexi have been stars!

14. alibescat

alibescat PetForums Junior

Cancel your 40 Blade as mentioned it will break the combs - you should only use the combs with a 10 or 15. Maybe a 30 but deffo not a 40.

I recently did a westie with a comb looked great - you must with westies make sure they are bone dry to the skin or any blade leaves bad clipper lines. Wesite coat is not very forgiving when clipping.

Are you following the growth and going at a nice speed ? Make sure your not skimming when using the combs - does that make sense.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice