UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Before the parapox virus wiped out most of the red squirrels at Formby Point on Merseyside, to have a red take food from your hand was quite commonplace, as long as you were still and quiet. One really memorable day I'd gone there to photograph them, but it clouded over and the light was poor, so I sat down against a tree with a bag of hazelnuts and brazil nuts. Before long I had a red squirrel coming down the tree, sitting on my shoulder and I would give it a nut, then it would go off and stash it somewhere and come back for more. At the same time I had a different one walking along my leg and sitting on my knee, again I would give it a nut which it would take away, then come back for more.
It was an amazing place to see red squirrels at close quarters, but one effect of the stress the visitor contact placed on them was that their breeding success was poorer than a few miles away at Ainsdale nature reserve where they remained truly wild and unapproachable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.