Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wild Mouse.

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Cherpi, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Cherpi

Cherpi PetForums Senior

Ok, so alot of people have this problem... I have a mouse in my house. My brother is a tramp and leaves food everywhere and now he's got a mouse in his bedroom (like I didn't see that coming). Anyway I was thinking... would it be possible to keep a wild mouse as a pet, I've read loads about this and some people have done it successfully and some haven't... I don't think I would as my mum would kick me out (lol) but I was wondering if it was possible. Opinions?

2. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

I have one cos I have holes in my skirting board :(

I was tempted to capture it and give it a nice home with me. Have yet to get it though lol. But I think for an animal that has tasted freedom and knows what it's like to have the world at it's feet then I don't think it is really fair! Plus I am sure someone told me that wild mice will bite if threatened. Nah you need a pet mouse...or two :D

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

It would be really cruel to try to keep it as a pet, they are natually fearful of humans so unless it was a tiny baby who had known nothing else then it would constantly be in fear which would probably in turn cause all sorts of stress related illnesses that mice are prone to, there is also the health implications to you and your family, wild mice carry diseases that can be passed onto humans. I would reccomend getting a humane trap, baiting it with some ham or chicken and releasing the mouse far away if you catch it.

4. Cherpi

Cherpi PetForums Senior

It's funny because only he has seen it... I don't even think there is one, haven't even heard it. Someone said that they don't carry disease, because they live indoors, whereas rats do because they live outdoors... not sure how correct that is. Also Wild mice live much longer as they haven't been inbred over and over. I guess you're right about the freedom thing, would be unfair, unless it's a little baby.

5. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

The diseases have nothing to do with whether the mouse is from indoors or out, also it came indoors from the outside. Just googled this which is pretty scary reading:eek: House mice can transmit diseases, and can damage food and food packaging. Some of the diseases the house mouse carries can be deadly: for example, Murine typhus, Rickettsialpox, Tularemia, and the Bubonic plague. They can also cause substantial damage when feeding on grain. It is thought that house mice were the primary reason for the taming of the domestic cat.

6. Cherpi

Cherpi PetForums Senior

Oh my god, I found the little guy, which I named Geoffry, next to my brothers computer desk. I think my dog killed it which is pretty scary...

RIP :)

#6 Cherpi, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  7. Yorkshire_Rose

Yorkshire_Rose PetForums Senior

There wont be just one ;) even if you havent seen any more they will still be there hiding =D

8. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

RIP Geoffry

9. Cherpi

Cherpi PetForums Senior

I don't there there are any more, my brother would be able to hear them and sleep downstairs again... he's an odd one.

10. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

if there isn't you're lucky. i'd wash everyting down with hot soapy water and vacuum the place till it's dust free (the whole house)

get bro to get off his lazy fat backside and clean his room to military standards.. the reward for doing so will to not get kicked in the groin, for being so filthy he attracts mice.. is his dream job 'Hobo'? If so applaud his efforts and show him to the shed.

11. Cherpi

Cherpi PetForums Senior

Believe me, if it was as easy as that there wouldn't have been a mouse in the first place, when we shared a room we had two or three mice, he used to crap himself and he slept on a matress on the floor so it was worse for him... seems they follow him around ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice