Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wild guinea pigs!! Here?!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Acacia86, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Hi everyone, over here we have some 'wild' Guinea Pigs. But only because someone didn't want their pets anymore and let them go :cursing:

There have been a few spotted including young babies :( so they are breeding :( our rescues don't want to take any just yet as they don't wish to take mums away from babies/babies from mums.

They are all healthy and thriving, and have been raised with humans because they are quite happy to be approached and some can even be picked up happily.

They might be thriving now, but they are close to a road :( and they have our Winter to deal with in the coming months :( not to mention all the cats and dogs. A lady actually phoned the rescue to say her dog chased a young one :(

No one knows what to do for the best, they are being checked up on several times a day by one of our shelters.

2. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

oh no. some one needs to round them all up?? where is it?? anyone fancy a pet forum guinea pig rescue atempt?? could make a week end of it??

3. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

It is a fairly open space with lots of hidey holes. So our rescue doesn't want to take adults away from hidden babies and visa versa :(

Oh and its all the way in the Channel Islands ;)

x

4. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

poop id already started looking for some humane traps and some camping gear!!!

5. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

6. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

That's sad, especially with winter eventually setting in. Most likely that will "take care" of the problem. :(

7. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I know, the Winter season is the biggest threat to them :( It does get blisteringly cold here. And Guinea's are not made for our climates ouside :(

Although i am on the ''help path'' lol! I would quite happily sit/lie in wait until they come out and i will either capture them (babies i feel the mothers would come looking) or count them all!!!

As said above, i feel done in the right way, the little ones were caught and put in cages, that had no scent/sight of us, mums would eventually come out???

(i hate what i have just said :( but something needs to be done for all their sakes)

8. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

if you want some company just ask. :D im all for getting them all in for winter

9. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I know this is going to sound really bad but if u rescue as many as possible using humane traps, they will have a far better and longer life than in the wild, any left will have to be sacrificed for the sake of the others :(

10. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

They will be caught eventually! The rescues just want to try and locate exactly where they are/go. So they can have a higher chance of catching all of them. And hopefully not leaving any behind.

11. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

It would be hard, if not impossible, to catch all the younger ones. Though they can survive from birth if they have to, they don't need to nurse from the mom, but it's better if they can.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice