Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wild gerbils

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Mcndt, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Mcndt

Mcndt PetForums Newbie

Hello! I was wondering if anyone could help me with my gerbils. I have two female gerbils I got a few months ago and I just upgraded their cage. But one of them just seems so desperate to get out. She is constantly climbing on the cage bars and chewing on them. I blocked those bars with a wood plank because I was worried she would hurt her teeth or fall and hurt herself but she kept jumping and hitting her head on the wood so I ended up giving her access to the bars again and she kept chewing on them. I put a piece of cardboard right against the bars so she couldn't reach them and she kept biting me as I was doing so, as if she was mad at me. She also just seems so attracted to chewing on metal things. She is always scratching the corner of her cage as if she was desperately trying to get out and I just don't know what to do. Her cage-mate is very chill so I don't know what makes her so restless to try and get out and to chew on things that might hurt her.
    Their cage has two levels which combined are 80cm (31'5 inches) in length, 36cm (14 inches) wide and 56cm (22 inches) tall plus a wired cage attached to the top (what she keeps chewing on). The bottom layer has some deep bedding, they have a few toys scattered in their cage plus I make sure they never run out of cardboard to chew on. They also get to run around my room almost everyday for at least a couple of hours.
    Anyone know what might be wrong with her and what I can do to fix it?

2. Mcndt

Mcndt PetForums Newbie

Also, sorry for posting this on the introduction page, I didn't notice :')

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice