Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wild birds crashing into wondows

Discussion in 'Bird Chat' started by CreativeLC, Jul 16, 2009.

1. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

Twice now we have had wild birds crashing into out front living room window.
    The first one looked unhurt but the second died almost instantly.
    I have no idea why it keeps happening. Once is rare but twice is just strange.
    Our windows are quite large and we have blinds, would that cause the bird not to see the window?
    If anyone has any experience of this or explanation of this, i would be grateful.
    Its not nice when your just sitting there and a bird comes crashing into your window.

2. BALOO J.

BALOO J. Guest

I get that happening at work, they just don't see, I guess, I moved plants from the window sill thinking they thought they could land on them, but nope, thud... thud.. thud.

3. Acrophylla

Acrophylla PetForums Member

It could be a sparrowhawk. Sometimes sparrowhawks force birds to fly low and crash into windows because the stunned bird is then easier for the sparrowhawk to snatch. A sparrowhawk uses this technique around here and I have witnessed two birds, on separate occasions, being forced to fly into the glass of my dining room window, with such force that they leave an imprint of feathers behind.

4. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

In garden centres they do some little cellophene animals that stick to your windows to warn the birds theres glass there. There easy to remove and leave no sickyness.

5. annianni

annianni PetForums Junior

We have thre same problem, and it killed a young blackbird yesterday......horrible
    I think the problem is they are young and not too bright on the flying front yet - they get confused and see light through the windows and fly at it, thinking they can get through.

We have hung things at the window, and I hope it will deter them!

Scares the life out of me sometimes!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice