Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wide tooth comb for persian grooming?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by missnearlyvintage, Oct 29, 2012.

1. missnearlyvintage

missnearlyvintage PetForums Junior

Hi All,

Please could anyone let me know if there is a short version of a wide tooth greyhound type comb anywhere that I could buy please? I'm looking for one that would fit in my hand without the ends/excess teeth sticking out, as my persians absolutely hate being groomed on their tummies, and especially hate the excess from our current 7.5 inch greyhound comb touching their legs etc. while I'm trying to groom them! Have tried a smaller wide tooth comb with handle and it's still too clumbsy to be able to get everywhere groomed without the cat's getting scared/annoyed. I'm looking for one with about ten teeth to an inch if possible that I can almost disguise as my own hand in the hope that they'll think I'm just stroking them and not grooming them! Desperate I know!

Thanks in advance.

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Dont know if this will be any good a zoom groom for cats

Kong Zoom Groom for Cats

KONG Zoom Groom cute cat brush - Grooming White / Ginger fluffy cute kitten - YouTube

3. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Sorry, but it won't be. The Zoom Groom doesn't get down nearly as deeply as a comb, and it won't help pull out knots either.

4. ella

ella PetForums VIP

I use a Karlie Long Hair brush for maintenance, but as Carly says, it doesnt get knots out, because it has nobbles, not proper tines.

A rake can be a good idea - Mikki Grooming Anti-tangle Undercoat Rake, Soft Grip Handle, Large: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies . Pets at Home stock them in varying sizes. One has retractable tines for comfort over bumpy places like the legs.

I'm also a fan of the mikki matt master Mikki Grooming Matt Master 8 Blade: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies . It helps cut through matts, but does take a bit of practise - I believe there may even be instructions for it on youtube....

5. missnearlyvintage

Thanks for your replies. Having trawled the internet for most of today I've found this mini medium tooth comb and was hoping for opinions as to whether it looks okay? I can get it at half the price on another website, and from doing a bit of estimating maths I think the teeth are wide enough apart for general grooming. Opinions welcome. Thanks for your suggestions!

NEW Mini medium comb - no handle 90M

Carly - Thanks for your reply on here, and your private message earlier re. these smaller combs. Very kind of you to offer to post one over, but I wouldn't want to put you to any trouble. You've been amazing with all your advice, thank you so much!

Ella - That undercoat rake with the retracteable tines looks brilliant! I'm struggling with grooming at the moment, but hopefully eventually when my two grumpy pussycats come round to it, I might be able to use something like that on them rather than disguising the brushes/combs completely in my hand!

6. ella

ella PetForums VIP

My only concern is how sharp the tines are..... one wiggle from an anxious cat and you could do a stabbing motion - and go back to square one..... That is the advantage of the Zoom groom - it wouldnt dig in and scare them further. You could then build confidence.

With Bibi, I have to accept that some knots are going to have to wait for another day..... Her thighs are my bugbear.....:rolleyes: (We both have problems with our saddlebags:D)

Have you considered getting them clipped? Bibi had a light sedation and had her undercarriage clippered by the vet, they then combed out what they could until she woke up - 15mins sedation, cost under £100. It was great through the summer and I have been able to keep on top of it since then, and have been able to build her confidence.

Do you have a good petshop nearby? Sometimes they can be a real good source of useful bits.....

7. missnearlyvintage

Hi Ella,

Yes, that's a good thought, but I'm getting desperate with things now!

We got them both lion cuts in summer after much heart break, and have a zoom groom which we bought exactly to try and build their confidence. We're still not getting very far on that front unfortunately, and they are growing their coats back at a fair pace now with winter coming on, so I'm panicking that they're not going to be accepting of grooming before the situation gets critical again.

We don't have any good pet shops near by either. We have two within walking distance but neither really have very knowledgeable staff or a wide range of products.

Thanks for your reply

8. Peter Galbavy

Peter Galbavy PetForums Senior

I am *still* using a kitten comb from the Furminator kitten kit - on my almost 2 years old MCs. It's rounded tines and wide spacing is ideal. Like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004WJ0GTK

9. ella

ella PetForums VIP

The Matt Master can be held in the palm of the hand, hiding the handle up your sleeve. Could you use a sewing unpicker to break the matts? That can work too. There is a Mikki one which is much bigger, but works in the same way as a sewing one would, and the sewing one can be tiny.

I also have a small battery trimmer like this one Wahl Pet Trimmer Pocket Pro Battery Black 9962-2117: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies which is ok - fairly quiet, but Bibi has to be in the right mood.

My last lad LOVED grooming, and I struggled with Bibi, and have got a happy medium, she's not how I would like her to be, but is happy in herself.

I just wondered if yours have an overall anxiety or just with grooming? Bibi is on food with Zylkene (a calming supplement) in it, called Royal Canin Calm - it makes her overall calmer and easier to deal with. My vet reccomended the food and its made a huge difference.

I'll have a think

10. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

you're very welcome. Do let me know if you change your mind, as it wouldn't be any inconvenience to me at all.

11. missnearlyvintage

Hi Peter, thanks for your reply. That set looks good, especially as I can use the combs without their handles if needed! Just a couple of questions if I may... I've never groomed with a curved comb, is there a different technique to it, or does it have any differing results to a straight comb? Also, could you let me know the rough dimensions of both the slicker and comb head in this pack please? Thanks so much.

12. missnearlyvintage

Hi Ella, thanks for coming back to me. I've tried putting brush/comb handles up my sleeve to groom but can never then get the brush/comb at the right angle then. The cats aren't matted as yet thank goodness, but I am concerned for my boy especially as he has a greasy undercarriage and his fur is always in rats tails there which I feel makes him a lot more susceptable to matting than my girl who has a much lighter straighter coat. It helps that my girl likes to help keep herself clean too, because my darling boy just doesn't seem to care! I've tried talcing his tummy/legs but haven't really gotten very far, especially as I can only apply the talc by patting it on from my hand as he won't lay on his back to have it applied to the roots.

Both cats are a little skittish, but I wouldn't say they were anxious. It might be worth looking into that food though thank you, or a supplement maybe? They were quite badly treated by their previous owner, and their dislike of grooming stems directly from their experiences with an awful groomer who stripped them until they bled I think. It's a wonder I can groom them at all after that really, but I was a bit naiive when we adopted them and didn't think we would stil be struggling to gain their trust after 18 months.

The trimmer looks good too. I haven't got a massive budget for new grooming supplies at the moment, and we already have some mains operated clippers, but they are loud and quite 'vibratey' which the cats don't appreciate so will be putting this on my christmas wishlist I think!

Thanks again

13. Peter Galbavy

Peter Galbavy PetForums Senior

You don't really notice the curve TBH. And I would always suggest using the handle - it is very confortable - as without there is a pokey-out bit.

14. ella

ella PetForums VIP

Hi

Using a talc can help with greasiness, use an unscented baby powder. Sprinkle a little and rub out. This can also help with giving slip to a brush too

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice