Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nellybelly, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Why do you own dog(s)?

I've wanted a dog ever since I can remember. My dream came true in the best possible way when I was 13 and I got my first dog Nelson. Despite being so young, I'd walk him at least 2 times every day: up extra early before school, walk him as soon as I got home.

He became my best friend, my companion. He was an exceptionally special dog...and when I went through some dark times he helped me more than any human could and did. I feel he was my soul mate...we really had a 2 way communication going. And when his time was up, it destroyed me and he took a big piece of my heart with him. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. It's been almost 4 years and I still miss him and tell him goodnight (I have a photo of him by my bedside table) every night before I go to bed.

I could never ever replace my Nelson, but I just knew my life wouldn't be complete with a dog...

so a few months later Bella came into my life. She can never replace Nelson, but she showed me I actually could love another dog. She is not half as clever as Nelson, but she too is a very special who had a terrible start to life. She still has her psychological scars from before we rescued her, but for the most part she is a happy bubbly girl who always makes me laugh. Yet, she is also extremely sensitive and loyal.

I made this thread because recently I though I might lose Bella (we still don't know what caused her to be so ill) and my world fell apart. EVen with her being unwell and not being able to do the things she used to, I realised what an integral part of my life she is. She comes almost everywhere with me and we spend most of the day/ night together.

One day, I know I will be without Bella...and I know that no dog will ever replace her... but I will rescue another dog.

Dogs give me something humans can't. I'm not one of those people who thinks I only need a dog in my life and that will replace all my human relationships...but I do believe that no amount of human relationships can fulfill/ replace, the very special dog-human bond. I spend a good 3-4 hours a day dog-walking, but apart from that there's so many other things I do with my dog that I don't even realise. she is sleeping at my feet as I type:) And in a hour we're both visiting a friend for dinner.

Having a dog in my life makes this world a much better place to be in my opinion. And I am able to offer a good life to that dog...and that is basically why I will always be with a dog in my life:)

2. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

in response to your opening question...................ive asked myself this many,many times.:rolleyes:

3. Buzzard

Buzzard PetForums VIP

I grew up with dogs, and as an only child they were very special to me. I loved having dogs around as a kid and wanted my boys to enjoy having a family dog to play with, look after and love. Myself and my husband both wanted a dog in our family and decided the time was right once our youngest son started school. All of us adore Mac, he is loving and loves us all completely. We have so much fun walking him and playing with him its hard to imagine life without him. It is hard work as he is only 8 months old, so still lots of training and mischief going on. However we wouldn't change it for the world and look forward to many happy years and memories with our four legged family member. My sons refer to him as their 4 legged brother. So sweet.

4. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I really wonder sometimes. It's certainly not because I like having to freeze my ass off to exercise him. Or because I enjoy picking up poo. Or because I like how I look with a coating of yellow hair on all my clothes. Or cleaning up puke or liquid poo at 4am. Or having no spare cash.

I'm not actually sure why I love dogs so much but the fact is I do and I'm absolutely lost without one. While none of my dogs can ever be replaced I can't imagine ever being without a dog for long. I feel like I'm missing something vitally important when I've not got one.

5. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

My life isnt complete without one:thumbup1:

6. sianrees1979

sianrees1979 PetForums VIP

never thought of it really, i've always had dogs in my life from birth, guess i'd be lost without a dog or two in my life :)

7. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

The 2 dogs i have at the moment are very special in their own way,Jack was found dumped in a box aged about 6 wks old, i got him a week later, with him i have for 5 yrs had great fun at agility(had never done it before) for Jack and i we formed a special bond together, sadly sept last year we had to stop agility due to him have a spine operation, the time since then has been hard on us both readjusting to a different life, hes recovering ok just wants to do so much ,like running fast which he cant really be allowed to do ,
    Charlie is my Lurcher he came to me just over a year ago, aged 13 months i am his 4th owner, hes one of the sweetest dogs i have ever had, both dogs make me smile every day,

Attached Files:

8. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Dunno

Just seems right :)

9. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

Because they are the nicest 'people' Ive ever met......

10. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Suppose it's because I grew up with dogs and have never had a home without one that it would be very strange and empty if I didn't have at least one.

I like to know there is always 'someone' there who I can cuddle, cry with and just love to bits. I have kids but once they grow up think they'd find it strange if I went and smothered them with cuddles and kisses, lol - the dogs however just wallow in it, as do I. :)

11. Hannahmourneevans

Hannahmourneevans PetForums VIP

I have spent wy whole life around dogs, and as ridiculous as it may sound, my whole self is happier when there is one about.

12. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

When the second family dog died my parents said we werent having any more. In fact, they said that once all of the pets died, none of them were to be replaced. I spent most of my 20's without any pets in my life which was strange for me because i'd always grown up surrounded by various animals. I missed having pets around, I missed laughing at their antics, petting them when I was feeling angry or upset and just generally missed the unconditional affection they give you.
    When I moved out it didnt take long before I had 3 dogs and 5 mice in my life, as well as a short stint with a cat. My life just didnt feel right without having animals in it and dogs in particular are very versatile because you can do so many things with them - they are very trainable, you can take them on holiday, take them out into the big wide world and basically share most of your life with them in a way that you cant do with most other animals.

I was only away from home for 2.5 years and then I moved back in with my parents, taking 3 dogs and 4 mice back with me and totally shattering their 'no pets' rule!

13. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I like the fact that there really isn't a very specific reason for most of us... it just makes like better/ complete:):)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice