Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why won’t my friend accept that her puppy is a mixed breed?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by JaneJ65, Feb 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaneJ65

JaneJ65 Banned

About a month ago my friend bought a female puppy under the pretence that the puppy was a purebred German Shepherd for £900. She did not get KC papers with the puppy and the man took her name and number and was told he would register her on the KC papers. Also, it turns out the dog was not microchipped even though the man told her that the dog was microchipped. She got her puppy Rose microchipped.

It’s obvious to anyone really that her puppy is mixed with something like a Labrador but she refuses to accept it and when people have asked her “What breed is your dog?” She tells them a German Shepherd and I see the people roll their eyes and the conversation becomes awkward. I’ve asked her, “why do you think she is a purebred German Shepherd?” And she replies that she looks like the photos on Google.

I don’t understand why she’s so reluctant to accept that her dog is a mixed breed dog, it doesn’t make her dog any less of a dog.

it may not be my place to tell her, but quite frankly she comes across as silly when she tells people that she’s a German Shepherd. How can I get her to accept that she’s a mixed breed dog?

Has anyone else ever heard of this before?

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Well, it's unfortunate if your friend has been misled and sold a crossbred pup instead of a purebred, but I don't really understand your concern.

If she wants to believe she has a GSD, then I would let her be.

Sairy and O2.0 like this.
  3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

I doubt she does. How many people have you seen her actually tell during a lockdown?!

Many people asking what dog breed you have are only passing conversation and wouldnt know a lab from a german shepherd anyway.

Does it really matter what she thinks? I'd leave her alone. It isnt important, really.

LinznMilly and Sairy like this.
  4. JaneJ65

JaneJ65 Banned

She lives not too far away from me so we go for walks with her puppy as our daily exercise which is allowed by the rules of the Covid-19 restrictions.

I would say at least a dozen and a few of them have all mentioned the same mix - Labrador.

I think that she’s been duped and she won’t accept it because she’s either embarrassed or reluctant to accept that is the case.

She was told the dog was KC registered - it is not.

She was told the dog was microchipped - she was not.

She was told that she was a purebred German Shepherd when her dog looks nothing like a German Shepherd.

It’s not important in the sense that it isn’t harming anyone but for her to be living a lie for the next ten years or however long is just plain silly on her behalf.

5. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Why could she not be a german shepherd? Are you so certain the pup is mixed with something?
    Pure bred does not automatically equal well bred.

If she is a cross, it'll likely become more obvious as she grows. But she'll still be her dog, doesn't change anything at all! Neither of them are harming anybody, live and let live.

LinznMilly and tabelmabel like this.
  6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Gosh you post some strange threads.

It is none of your business what your friend calls her dog.

Torin., O2.0, JoanneF and 2 others like this.
  7. Sheltie2021

Sheltie2021 PetForums Member

Do you have a pic of the puppy

8. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Well, i'd say that was unusual and pretty rude of the people concerned, tbh. If someone asks me what breed my dogs are and i tell them, i wouldnt then expect them to start suggesting what else might be in my dogs.

The whole situation is weird.

BlueJay likes this.
  9. JaneJ65

JaneJ65 Banned

Her dog looks absolutely nothing like a German Shepherd. Her dog’s face is the wrong shape and size, the coat of the dog is the exact same as a Labrador’s coat, the dog is nowhere near the size a German Shepherd would be at that age, etc.

I’m not a dog expert but the first time I saw her dog I thought she was a Labrador.

I agree with you that it doesn’t make her dog any less of a dog but it’s rather silly to pretend that her dog is a breed that she is quite clearly not.

She should have more self-awareness.

Would you say someone who has a Poodle dog but describes her dog as an Alsatian to be intelligent?

10. JaneJ65

JaneJ65 Banned

I’ll post one in the next few days.

11. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Who are you to judge how intelligent or otherwise your friend may be?

I don't get why you're so worked up about this.

Let her be. I'm afraid you're coming across not as a friend, but someone who sits in judgement.

12. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Knowing the ins and outs of different dog breeds has little to do with intelligence really... does somebody not knowing the difference between a Ford and a Peugeot make them stupid? Or the difference between arborio and basmati rice? Particularly when they have already been specifically sold something as one or the other (whether it be true or not).

Hopefully she's intelligent enough to question the value of a "friend" who is happy to slag her off to strangers on the internet.
    Why dont you invite her to join the conversation so she can have her say? :)

LinznMilly, Sairy, Torin. and 3 others like this.
  13. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Absolutely.

Yet another thread likely to cause an argument from this particular OP.

14. Pricivius

Pricivius PetForums Member

Try telling everyone with a cockerpoo or a cavapoo or somethingelseapoo that it’s silly to pretend that their dog is a breed when it’s not

Does it really matter? Several people have admired my cocker when he’s actually a springer - no big deal. I’ve been told he’s a cross, when I have his French KC papers - no worries.

Perhaps deep down your friend is embarrassed that she has been duped and is not ready to admit it yet?

LinznMilly likes this.
  15. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

You have no right to post pictures of someone else's dog without their permission.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  16. JaneJ65

JaneJ65 Banned

I don’t need permission when the photo will be taken in public.

17. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

This.
    What is up with the threads you come up with?

Your puppy is going to be attacked by a vicious staffy, can you name your dog Hitler, and now your friend has a dog who she's calling a GSD but doesn't look like one.
    I call my dog a swamp rat.

Actually my muttdog is clearly (to me) not a lab, yet people call him a lab all the time. So what?

Try leading by example ;)

LinznMilly, Lurcherlad and Rafa like this.
  18. JaneJ65

JaneJ65 Banned

No. I asked about potentially offensive names. Hitler and Stalin come to mind.

Or... something like Syndrome.

19. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Oh I see, my mistake, that's entirely different than what I was suggesting....

You're asking about something that has nothing to do with you. You're not planning on naming your own dog something offensive, and you don't know any dogs with offensive names, so why even worry about it?

Same thing here. It's not your dog, you're not the one who is calling a purebred a mixed breed or a mixed breed a purebred and who cares? Nothing about this affects you in any way so why concern yourself with it?

LinznMilly and Rafa like this.
  20. JaneJ65

JaneJ65 Banned

You are right that I don’t know anyone with any dogs with offensive names, but I was curious about laws because of registering at a vets. It was curiosity, nothing else.

I think it’s cringeworthy to pretend your dog is something it is not. I think at the moment my friend is incredulous because she won’t accept that she has been tricked (unfortunately).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice