Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why the homeless Female Dog mom demands only for petting and not food?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Asish, May 22, 2018.

1. Asish

Asish PetForums Junior

Hi all,
    Can someone explain the phenomenon why the dog preferred petting over food?

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Dogs value different resources differently just as humans do and may prefer a certain resource more in one situation than another. A resource is anything the dog values i.e. needs or likes e.g. food, contact, water, resting places, toys, scents, petting, the list is endless. Some dogs value human contact more than food. If a dog isn't starving but enjoys human contact then it will value that more. Also some animals will not eat if stressed or worried (high arousal) but will seek out reassurance through contact.

In the video the dog looks like it enjoys the petting and is well fed so petting is a more valuable resource at that time than food.

My cat will always chose petting over food. He never is left to go hungry but should he be starving then food would take precedence.

Asish likes this.
  3. Whiteshadow

Whiteshadow PetForums Senior

Perhaps she gave up on being fed after you gave her fruits??

Asish and kittih like this.
  4. Asish

Asish PetForums Junior

I must say this is a wonderful piece of information I got and I was expecting the reason to be close to the one you have explained above...I think I am asking too much but can you let me know , if you are able to understand the behaviour demonstrated by my Puppie named Blackie[3months old video 1] and [5 month old in video 2]. It is not very clear why he humps over me whenever he sees me after a while. Is it anxitey or over happiness..but yeah he is well fed for sure :)...Its real strange behavious but I will like to take your opinion on this...any references will be helpful too....

3 months old video:

5 months old Video of my puppy:

5. Asish

Asish PetForums Junior

:) Yeah this is another good way to assume :)
    Dear friend can you suggest your opinion on the above video I just shared on the humping part..Why do you think my dog humps on seeing me..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice