Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why the backwards step ? - frustrated !!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by RAINYBOW, Nov 22, 2012.

1. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Nella had been doing much better overnight. The whining had stopped completely and we had had a few nights with no pooing overnight. She is now in an adapted puppy pen so she cant jump out of it but has the whole pen. She has a plastic kidney bed in one end and a tray down the other with paper in which she has been succesfully using for night time toilets. All Good....

Except a couple of nights ago she whined before going off to sleep after 10 minutes or so and had pooed when we got up but no big deal, she had clearly toileted on the paper and then gone back to bed, however last night she howled on and off for about an hour before settling then settled for about 40 minutes only then started howling again. After 20 minutes of the 2nd howling session i got up to an incredible mess, crap all over the pen, pen trashed.

I bunged her in the kitchen with Oscar with no fuss whilst i cleared it all up (not fun at 2am) and then put her back in. I then slept (well tried to) in the room next door so that when she whined i could just shush her and eventually she settled at around 4am.

She is having her last meal around 6pm so should really be empty by bedtime i would have thought ?? She is left from 10.45pm til 6am which she had been fine with.

Nothings changed that i can see :confused: She clearly isnt a dog that likes being left but we really did seem to be making headway so i cant understand the sudden U Turn.

Such a shame Oscar is a grumpy pants as i am sure she would be alot more settled in the kitchen with him but i cant trust him yet.

Is tough love the best way or time for a different tack (although i have no idea what that would be)

2. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

Sounds like you just need to take her out still in the middle of the night, no use shushing her as this just reinforces attention whining. If she whines pick her up, take her outside, ignore her for 2 minuts (or if she does her business less), pick her back up and put her back in bed. You just need to do this until she is sleeping through the whole night. Also depends on what food she is on how often she will poo.

3. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

But the whining/howling is worse when she has just been put to bed and she has just been out for a toilet at that stage so i dont think she is whining because she needs the toilet. I think she ends up toileting because she is whining (stressed) as we had no problems when the whining had stopped.

I dont know when her last poo is at the moment because we have found she isnt keen on an audience so if i am in the garden with her watching to see if she poos she wont and then sneaks off under the dining table to do it when she comes back in. I was wondering about a short walk round the block last thing.

Her toilet training in general is very good, very few accidents now and she is only 12 weeks. It's the anxiety more than the toileting that worries me tbh.

4. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

I always had my pup next to the bed in a crate for a few weeks so she wasn't so lonely, it's a hard transition for them. How long have you had her? Maybe try putting a hot water bottle in her bed to give her some comfort? A short walk round the block should do the trick I would think. I don't think at 12 weeks it's anxiety, they're still so young at that age.

5. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Could you not separate them in the kitchen. Give her some company. Pen slept in our room in a crate for the first couple of weeks. The dogs and myself were near her but she was safely tucked away. Not because they'd hurt her - so she didn't toilet everywhere - it taught her to wake me up when she needed the loo.

6. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

She has been with us 4 weeks now. I spent a few nights downstairs with her to start, i cant have her upstairs as there is nowhere i can squeeze the crate in (big crate/little house).

I have just popped her in the kitchen after our walk this morning and am ignoring her, she whined a bit but has settled down and is asleep now so i dont think its seperation anxiety as such, just wierd that she was doing ok and seemed settled but has suddenly decided she isnt again. :confused:

My other dog was never any bother, whined a couple of nights when we got him and never messed at all over night from day one so i suppose we were spoilt with him ;)

7. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Anyone else ?? She was rubbish again last night.

Took her for a walk around 9, played with her a bit after that. She hadn't had alot of sleep all afternoon tbh and for some reason took ages to settle in the evening (maybe the wind was spooking her) .

Put her to bed 10.45 and she howled straight off. I came down at 11 and she had pooed so i cleared that up with no fuss and left her again.

She settled but then a couple of hours later started again so after a while hubby came down put her in the garden then returned her to bed, she settled again but then kicked off again around 4.45.

Hubby gave up at 5.30 and got up. Her crate was clean except for a wee.

She is snoring her head off on the sofa tucked up wioth my daughter now :rolleyes:

This is such a turn around to where we had got to (((throws self on floor and wails :())

:confused:

8. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Is she crate trained? If so could you leave her in her crate at night in the kitchen with Oscar?

I might have been lucky but all my pups have been left in the kitchen at night in their crate near the other dog's beds and I've never had a problem.

9. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

This is my thoughts too.

I have been introducing the crate for car journeys and she seems fine in it. I left her in it in the car this morning whilst i popped the kids into their playground and when i came back she was asleep so not at all stressed.

She definately wants to be nearer to Oscar (he just isnt quite so keen ;))

And she is generally happier in the kitchen (she is asleep there now after her morning walk and will take herself there for a snooze)

We did have her in the kitchen with her crate open for a while but she used the crate to escape by getting on top of it :eek: and i am worried about her joints from jumping the gate or off the worktops (which she did do :eek:)

Oscar was crated from day 1 and we had no trouble with him but the first night i crated nella she pooed in it and i just hate the idea of her being trapped in with her own poo all night (not to mention cleaning her up in the morning !!)

That is my only reservation tbh but i suppose it couldnt get any worse so worth a try. I have really tried making sure she has a poo before bed but she just wont and then does it within minutes of being put to bed.

10. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

But as you say if it's stress of being on her own that is making her poo at night, maybe being in the kitchen with Oscar, safely shut in her crate of course, may solve the problem.

11. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

I think its worth a try because she is clearly really unhappy with the current set up for whatever reason :cool:

12. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Fingers crossed you get a good nights sleep tonight then and get up to a clean crate....:smile5:

13. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

:thumbsup:

Much better night. Walked her at 10pm and she had a poo. OH insisted on trying the existing set up one last time but we could hear within 5 minutes she really wasnt happy so i put her in the normal crate near Oscar. Little bit of whining (2 minutes) then nothing all night.

She had done a wee in the crate but i use bath mats as a liner so not too bad to clean up, most important thing was she was settled and happy :)

Ultimately having her in a normal sized crate is the ideal as its so useful for holidays and visiting people etc.

Now lets hope it lasts :eek:

Thanks for the help and support :)

14. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Oh that's much better. Glad you posted as I was wondering how it went.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice