Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why staffies/pit dogs are soo friendly

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sailor, Mar 31, 2011.

1. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

Going on from another thread, I just wondered how many of you knew why the fighting breeds... like staffies are soo loving and people friendly.

It is simply because years gone by as these dogs were being bred to fight in the pits, any dog that showed aggression towards people were culled and not bred from.
    Unfortunatley if it wasn`t for the pits, we wouldn`t have such fantastic family friendly staffies that we have today ... a bitter twist really

The owners of the dogs would wash each others dogs before the fight, to ensure the dog wasn`t tampered with in any way to help it win the fight, and to also ensure it was tame and friendly with people.
    And then during the fight, the owners of both dogs would be in the pit with their dogs, to keep the fight going and to pull the dogs apart when needed.

So the dogs had to be friendly with people, any dog that was to turn on the handler would be killed there and then most likely.

They were very hard dogs, they were bred to have extremely high gameness (desire to fight regardless of injury on their side, or submissiveness on the other side) and a high pain thresh hold, hence why they are such effective fighting dogs..... ofcourse the power and strength of the dog was also helpful, but overall it was the gameness of the dog that the breeder wanted.

I would like to think that with the pits a thing of the past, staffies would keep the people friendly trait and slowly loose the dog aggression trait... but that would take mega donkey years... and also with soo many people breeding from these dogs for money and the underground dog fights that still go on today... I doubt it will ever happen... if anything there will just continue to be badly bred fighting dogs getting loose and causing horrific, or even fatal, injuries on pet dogs and people.

It is just a shame, that such an impressive little dog, like the staffy with its striking contrast in characteristics for people and dogs are being abused the way they are today :(

I LOVE MY STAFFY X !!! not because he could cause harm or make me look well `ard... but because he is soo loving, gentle and eager to please his family :001_wub:

Rock on Sailor, WE LOVE YOU !!! :D

2. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

Very nice post!

3. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

It's very true, I was told by my dad's neighbor who bred and raised Am.Staffs (well he said that was the paperwork name but the real name was pitbull terrier) that they wanted a dog they could get down with and put their face in while it's tearing another dog apart, often they'd judge things where you had to get a real good look in. The guy told me he'd trust a pit fighters dog over an average hick (Think he means like our kind of chav) although he dosen't condone what they do, he gives credit for breeding a wonderful family dog. The guys dogs were people an dog friendly because that's how he brought them up and didn't believe in fighting them. I adore staffies, pibbles an pretty much all bullies because they have great personalities, english bull terriers just make me laugh, their strange head shape almost suits that sily personality.

4. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

Oooh can i join in:

I LOVE my little staffy girl, not because of what she is or what she could do if she wanted to but because she makes me laugh when i'm sad, she licks my tears if i cry, she cuddles up to you in a way that says i love you mum, she has to take a teddy bear to bed with her every night and if she doesn't she cries but most importantly she loves me unconditionally, and no matter what is always happy to see me.

I love you lots Lex!!!!:001_wub::001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:

5. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

They 'were bred to be as trustworthy with humans as they were aggressive towards other dogs'.

[​IMG]
    Source: Staffordshire Bull Terrier History

I love looking at old pictures of Staffies with kids etc. :) Staffies are addictive little creatures, that can pick you up when they know you're feeling down, they're very in touch with your feelings & almost try 'kiss' you better hehe.

6. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Great pics, it's a pity concerted effort could not be put into breeding out the dog aggressiveness by everyone, rather than breeding it it in, by so many :(

7. Purplejellyfish

Purplejellyfish PetForums Member

My three are just the same. They live for cuddles and fuss. They will practically try to turn themselves inside out to please you. My little Molly loves to have a teddy too! Their happy staffie faces and endless smiles brighten my day, every day!

I chose staffies for their affinity with humans and sweet temperaments, and my three are all that!

I LOVE YOU Alfie, Cookie and Molly! xx (and of course Maisie, my very lovely labrador!)

8. Staffx

Staffx PetForums Senior

The first thing anyone says when they meet Major is how soft he is, he will run over to people then just flip onto his back belly in the air right at their feet, just to get tummy rubs. He loves to give you a good licking given the chance and is so eager to please especially for a treat or for his ball.

Major is also the least dog agressive dog I have ever known, many dog has gone for him and he never even bats an eyelid just turns his back and walks away.

9. Amber Dawn

Amber Dawn PetForums Member

Dug is the same except he hides behind me and cries instead of walking away.

10. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

I love my little Harvey Doodles, the big Pooffie!

11. quequeg1988

quequeg1988 PetForums Member

im waiting to heaar about a pup, but if that falls through im consdering a Staff, i was in the park the other day, throwing stones in the water with my 2 year old, a guy who has an older staff has just got a pup, she must have only been 12 week's and she was off the lead, running up to me, wagging her little tail :) she had real good recall skill's too :) my brother had one too J, she used to meow like a cat LOL

12. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

The most friendliest of people dogs IMO - never ever met a nasty one as far as people are concerned and my kids all grew up with Staffs - never a problem and never a moments worry that they would harm my kids! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice