Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why some people don't like dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rona, May 22, 2010.

1. rona

rona Guest

Quite an eye opener this morning :(
    I went for an hour long walk without a dog.
    I was mugged by a very friendly but filthy Border Collie, the owners were some way back, I couldn't move, because if I had it would have jumped up and covered me in mud.
    The next was a tiny pup, who the owner obviously wanted me to fuss. No effort was made to stop it jumping up (I loved it ;))
    The final confrontation was by far the worst. Ahead of me were two Black Labs and two Huge black Staffies, all four making a lot of posturing snarls and growls. When I came into view they all came running toward me, and one of the huge Staffies jumped and tried to knee cap me ;) The owners did nothing :(
    Now, I'm a dog person as you know, but I must say, if that is what non dog people face every day, then I'm not surprised we have some anti dog feeling building up in this country. :(
    What it would have been like for someone with dog fear with a young child, I dread to think

2. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

But sometimes its hard to do anything to stop dogs being OTT I find...

Rupert will keep all four feet on the floor now when we walk past people but he will pull to get to them and sometimes semi chokes himself with whatever he is wearing but I've got him on a lead and there's not much else I can do (except go into the road which is what I normally do).

When he was younger he would lunge and leap up at people and they probably thought :eek: and a lot of them acted like that. I had him on a close lead and he never touched any of them or got very near but to be honest it was a pretty good representation of what Rupert was/is like :blushing:

I can understand what you mean if people are letting their dogs run and leap at people offlead but Rupert does it on lead and I still get dirty looks!

3. moboyd

moboyd PetForums VIP

Have to say I get really annoyed when people allow their dogs to jump up at me, at work sometimes I go outside for a smoke, and people are bringing their dogs to the home for various reasons, not all negative ones ie rehoming, but just to get them spayed or neutered, and because I wear a fleece with the dogs home emblem on it, its presumed by people I am prepared to get knocked over by their dogs and be happy about it, I AM NOT, I love dogs passionately, and do enjoy meeting dogs, but find it really frustrating when dogs owners take it for granted that their dog can jump up at people and dont even try to correct the behaviour they seem to feel its cute in some way?. I can definately see why some people dislike meeting dogs when they are allowed to behave like this.

mo

4. sketch

sketch PetForums VIP

I hate dogs jumping up, I can remember when Dalton was little he would get excited and jump up people who would say " its ok he's only a puppy" grrrrr.
    I would say to them " No its not ok, and you wont be so accomodating when he is 40kg", then they would see my point of view.
    If someone wants to pet one of mine, (Not libby ofcourse) i make them sit, calmly before hand..
    I think having larger breeds has made me more aware.
    Also i had my hand savaged by a St Bernard loose, the owner said "oh let me get you some tissue", which was little use as i went ot A&E to be stuck back together, so anyway im very aware of how they greet people
    xx

5. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

People def dont help by letting them jump up when you are training. I remember Mathew once springboarding off of a toddler and trampling him into the ground before I could get there. His Dad just said 'its ok, he's used to dogs!!'.:scared:
    Poor kid must spend his life at home as a doggy trampoline!LOL
    Im getting more and more annoyed by off lead Staffie's at the mo. Its not fair to people who are scared of dogs, plus even the most well behaved one could decide to run nder a car after something. I def dont want to see that happening.:(

6. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

diva isn't really interested in people on walks, just there dogs.. or if somebody has a biscuits in pockets.... :O she does heelwork for anybody!

7. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

i cant understand it myself, Blaze likes people alot and if he sees anyone he would go to them if he had the choice, but i simply recall him and tell him to sit and clip the lead on. Its not that hard. It really annoys me too if the dog cant be controlled off lead it shouldnt be of the lead, I never let Ziggy off lead as hes yappy towards dogs.

8. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

I have to admit that if I'm without my dogs it's because I have some fairly decent clothes on for a change and I wouldn't be too impressed at an errant pooch (God love it) throwing an excited fit up against my Sunday best!

The last time I heard of a St Bernard with anti-social tendencies was Cujo. He managed to savage the car too! :scared:

9. sketch

sketch PetForums VIP

Yeh exactly, thats why when i saw it i wasnt bothered, during and after it scared the crap out of me, and gave me dog issues fir a few years until I had Dalton, now althought i prefer not to be bitten lol, im not scared no longer.
    It hurt like crap at the time having all of my skin being glued back dogether, and i had dressings on it for 8 weeks also
    xx

10. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

argh i hate when people say "aw its ok i dont mind them jumping up". skye is quite bad for jumping up, so its something we try and work on but it doesnt help when people encourage it.

i would never ever let me dog run up to someone and jump up. its very rude and unfair.

11. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Oddly never botherd me when I was younger (Hell i've been jumped on and pinned to floor only to be licked to death and ended up in giggle fits because of it) but as i've grown up and I think having maya has made me more aware. I'm tired of trying to keep my clothes half decent, it's hard to get mud out and I really don't like it when dogs paws are all over it and then that white shirt is no longer white but white with some staining.

I also suffer back problems and ankle problems so I don't like dog's running into me but even worse when the other lets the dog climb all over me and say,"oh he must like you or he's very friendly". :mad:

I have told Rusty off countless times that it's now drilled into his brain that if he jumps up at someone I'll scream at him ( a bit harsh but I don't like it) and i've had many people even encourage it :scared: and then don't see what my issue is because i'm telling them not to, Grrr

so yes, I totally understand why some people don't like dogs. I love dogs, I hate ill behaved dogs whoose owners don't give a damn.

12. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Oh lord, this is what I hate whether I'm alone or with my dogs. If I see people coming towards us I put them on their leads. If the other person wants to fuss I'm in control and can stop any of the dogs jumping out of excitement.

Got the shock of my life the other day, I was walking down the road and a little pom popped his head up over a wall. I thought he was a cat for 2 seconds :lol: He was soaking from head to toe and such a friendly bugger!! His owner was out watering the garden and if he hadn't been there I would have been severely tempted to nick him :eek:

13. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I can't believe the amount of children that are terrifed of dogs these days. Almost every child I met today at our local country park (must have been near on 30 or more children) was scared of Ollie. If Ollie so much as looked at them, they would jump back. Ollie doesn't jump up at anyone and generally ignores children, even if they are running away from him, but just him being around them scares them. Its very sad, but if your experience today OP is common, then there is no wonder so many children and adults are scared of dogs.

On regard to people saying that others shouldn't encourage your dog to jump up, personally I allow any dog to jump on me if its friendly and small enough as long as the owner is happy with this. If the owner doesn't want their dog jumping up on me, then I either ignore them or push them down, whichever method the owner wants me to do.

14. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Imagine 84lb Luna jumping up at you :lol:

15. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

:scared: only small dogs, like cockers, poms, poodles, cockapoos etc to jump up.

16. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Haha I don't blame you. She's caught me off guard a few times but I've not landed on my arse... yet :lol:

17. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

See I have the opposite, I have kids running after us, following us, hugging and tugging on maya all wanting to pet/stroke and suffocate her :rolleyes: I often try and avoid them or end up telling them she needs exercise and needs her walks.

Adults are far more weary of Maya than kids, many think maya is a wolf of some sort so whisper/cross the street/stare at me evily.

Rusty is just ignored :lol:

18. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn PetForums Senior

Cassie doesn't jump because my OH is disabled and can go off balance very easily. He had her taught as a puppy not to do it if someones standing. Sitting down is fair game though as far as shes concerned.. normally when i've just walked in from work and relaxing on the sofa... she wants her cuddles and is gonna get em :lol:

Will say though that she'll only jump up when i call her up on me.. rest of the time she knows not to do it :D

19. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

Mmmm, its hard though guys. Mine are in training to keep 4 paws on the floor, they are learning recall when it comes to dogs, but if the owners show interst in them then they will jump up and say hello. When they are on lead I have total control and if they go to jump and I do the training bit. But you cant really say if they dont have recall then dont let them off....mine are great with recall and will ignore anyone if they havent got a dog in tow. But Im not gonna keep them on the lead just cause in the few chances the owners are gonna take interest they are gonna jump up.

I know sometimes, like the dirty collie perhaps or the larger dogs definatly, cause they can push people down and exp bully dogs cause peops are not 100% then yeah.

But when you are doing your best then its hard. :)

20. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

If dogs are small, they are usually encouraged to jump because it means you don't have to bend down to stroke them. But larger dogs are seen as evil if they jump up as obviously they are big and can push people or children over. Its tricky really. If you have a small dog, like HarryHamster2 has, you can properly get away with dogs jumping up, unless they have muddy paws.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice