Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

why neuter over a certain age?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by georges mummy, Jan 8, 2008.

1. georges mummy

georges mummy PetForums Member

can anyone tell me why british vets neuter dogs from 6 months and american vets will do this operation when the pups are younger?
    is there a reason for this like the dog health?

2. Solitaire

Solitaire PetForums Junior

With the giant breeds like my Danes it is preferred that they are spayed after the first season which can be anytime from 8 months to 13, the thought behind this, is that giants are not mentally or physically mature until then.

3. Angel

Angel PetForums Senior

My dog as done at about 5 1/2 months..........

She didnt even have her first season........

4. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

They are probably just given different info in vet school. I know of a vet who spayed her own pup prior to the first season, but recommends after to her clients, when I asked her why she just shrugged her shoulders. Personally I wouldn't consider neutering until after adolescence, when the dogs character and body are fully developed.

5. Dawny

Dawny PetForums Member

The reason for spaying after the first season is that there is a small risk that the bitch can become incontinent if spayed before. I've personally not seen this, it is what I am told but it is rare I think. Different vets will recommend different things, I think either is fine. We recommend after the first season.

6. Brainless

Brainless Guest

If they are honest Primarily for Population control in both countries. Vets assume that many of their clients are not responsible enough to ensure their entire animals so not breed, or think they may be tempted to breed a litter just because they can.

This link will give you a balanced view regarding the health aspects. http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

Neutering is primarily done for human social reasons.

IN fact neutering was illegal in some Scandinavian countries on welfare grounds until very recently.

Myself I sopay al my bitches we they are aroudn 7 years of age to prevetn the risk of Pyometra, and I am happy for animals to be neutered once they reach physical and mental maturity.

The very growth of the developing dog is altered by neutering.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice