Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why my herding dog hates Labs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Redice, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Redice

Redice PetForums Senior

2. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

Interesting :) There are certain dogs that will get on better with my own, and labs are not one of them, the labs Kes has met have run up to her and she has reacted quite badly to it.

3. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

Makes a lot of sense to me. Gruff has been moving from noticeably uncomfortable to positively antagonistic towards labs recently.....a humping incident and a territorial lab getting out as we walked past the gate seem to have confirmed his suspicions about them. :(

I love labs, but I do tend to agree that their (well meant) approach is a bit much for a more reserved dog like Gruff.

Must find steady, non head bouncing lab for him to meet.....

4. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

Feel like I've been left hanging!

So why don't herding dogs like new dogs in their space specifically? What has a lab got to do with herding?

Multiple dogs will herd, why don't they herd each other if the herding instinct is stronger then its social instinct?

5. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

What a load of twaddle.........................

6. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

It's not often I agree 100%, but in this instance, I think that sums it up perfectly!!

7. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

What a complete load of poop :eek: GSD aren't park dogs :rolleyes:

8. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

That's what I was thinking? All the GSD's I've met have made this breed one of my absolute favourites!

It just doesn't make sense! Collies are herding dogs no? I've never ever had an issue meeting a collie with my two, one of whom is a Labrador.

Surely, if a dog doesn't like other dogs in its space then it's personality rather then breed? And would be the same with all new dogs not just one certain breed of dog?

9. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

The article is all a bit one sided like the beginning of a train of thought.

There are behaviours that can make dogs a bad match, Being herded scares my dog and is none to popular with me, being bounded up to like their old buddies again is not a great match with my dog.

Certain breeds are more likely to display these behaviours as part of what they have been historically breed for. It serves every owner well to be aware of how their natural behaviours could impact others.

10. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Having lived with both a gundog and a GSD for 8 years I think I am in a position to categorically state that the issue is more about owner awareness than a particular breed/group etc.

I am sure the author meant well but the underlying message has been overshadowed by the way it has been put across............ ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice