Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why is my dog eating her own poo????

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by mollys_mummy, May 19, 2010.

1. mollys_mummy

mollys_mummy PetForums Junior

So we seem to have cracked the issue of eating the cats poo and we've fenced off our wild garden so she can't pick anyone elses poo and now in the absence of her normal poo supply my little lady has resorted to eating her own?????

I used to look forward to our night time cuddles on the sofa but i literally cannot stomach how bad she smells after she's been chomping on her own waste product!

I pick up any poo as soon as i see it but she comes and goes in and out of the garden all day so i'm certain that when i'm not looking she's eating it all before i can get to it.

Any ideas on why on earth she is doing this?????

2. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Hi there, Harvey did it once, how I didn't vomit I will never know. I did read that pups can learn this behaviour off mum, as she "cleans" the area where the pups are, and as they progress they can "help" her. Is she digesting her food? If there is undigested food in her poop this can make it more appetising :arf:. If not then you can buy tablets to put in her food that will make the poop taste very bitter. May be an idea if you cannot follow her around and pick it up instantly. Hope this helps :)

3. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Poo eaters,grrr!
    I have the ultimate poo eater,well i did,hopefully she has grown out of it now but she was horrendous!!
    It can be for several reasons,learned behaviour as Sue said,having watched her mom cleaning up after her.A dietry issue,where she is lacking something,or simply because she has been told off in the past for pooing and feels she needs to clear it up to hide the evidence!
    You can try adding pineapple in her food,or grated raw courgette,as this can make the poo taste bitter.Pick up her poo as soon as she has done it,if she looks like she is going to eat it divert her attention with a treat or game etc.
    If you see her eat it,just ignore it (if you can ,its gross i know).
    What food is she eating?
    I found raw marrow bones helped too,i was told they contain amino acids that some dog foods dont provide.

4. mollys_mummy

mollys_mummy PetForums Junior

Thanks for the replies guys!

She has Bakers Complete Puppy food and has had this from the get go, as far as i can see she is digesting it properly. In between time she has carrots and the odd dentastik.

I had heard about the pineapple actually so i think i'll give it a go!

5. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hi,bakers isnt the best of foods,but as shes been on it and had no problems as such,id try the pineapple first.You may want to consider changing foods at some point,maybe do a little research into some others.
    Hopefully the pineapple will do the trick,but make sure you pick up poo fast and praise when she goes outside etc ,as well.Solving this problem needs to be tackled from all angles.good luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice