Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why is my dog doing this?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Eevee boo, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Eevee boo

Eevee boo PetForums Newbie

hi, I’m new here... and relatively new to dogs.
    Eevee is my first ever dog. She is a ckcs, 2y 8m old. We have had her since a puppy.
    She has gradually made her way into bed with us at night, but we don’t mind that.... but the last week or so she wants to cuddle up to me and only me.
    She was happy to sleep in between us all night, moving around as she pleased from top to bottom, not really bothered about how we were sleeping.
    Now when we go to bed she scurries over to me, licking my face and leaning on me... and if I turn over to face away from her she immediately sits up, leans over my face and starts lip licking and wining until I turn back over and cuddle her again. After about an hour she is fast asleep enough that I can turn back over again ( I prefer to sleep on that side) and everything is ok for the rest of the night.
    I’m thinking her lip licking is a sign of her being scared of something.... but for the life of me I can’t think what. Nothing has changed recently, so I’m not sure why she seems so clingy.

Any ideas anyone?

2. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

When is her last feed? She might be hungry.. I dunno but might be worth putting a few biscuits down before bed.

My daisy would smack her lips together and if ignored she would be sick, it was hunger pukes. Since giving her kibble before bed, there's been no more licking her lips and being sick.

Might be worth a try

Eevee boo, Lurcherlad and Torin. like this.
  3. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Sounds like she's a bit worried for some reason. Has anything changed in your routine or household? Is she spayed? As a season could be the reason. Has anything scared her recently? Fireworks, roadworks, wind etc.
    Has she slept in your bed for a long time? Could be that she got kicked or stuck and that freaked her out. I don't know if you are male/female but time of the month? Pregnancy? Illness?
    First thing I'd do is get her checked by a vet in case there's something medical causing it (could be toothache, ear problems, anal glands etc, or maybe a bit of soreness somewhere).

4. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Yeah, I was going to wonder about hunger/ feeding times too - an hour to fall back asleep is a long time to be restless for.

Also has anything changed recently? Your routine, anything outside etc.? Did this start over Christmas if it's recent?

With all behavioural changes it's a good idea to get a vet check to rule out physical health things first - humans are pretty pants at noticing things and so using behaviour in this way is a good way to catch potential health issues early. If the vet gives you the okay then you can be more confident into looking into other angles :)

eta - posted at the same time as @Sarah H again :p

Kakite, Eevee boo and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Eevee boo

Thanks for all the advice.
    To answer some questions...
    She has been sleeping all night in our bed for about 7 months. Before that she would start off in her bed beside us, then get in with us around 2 ish ( when she used to need a night time wee). She was a bit poorly with a bad leg, so we let her in with us .... and she’s just stayed as she gets anxious back in her own bed.

Yes, she has been spayed.
    I’m female.... but no periods or illness..... or pregnancy!
    There has been a big change... our 18 year old cat passed away on dec 19. .... but this behaviour has only started within the last week.
    She is totally normal and happy apart from this new bed time thing.

6. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

There must be something about dogs called Eevee who like to wake/annoy owners by licking.

My Eevee does the licking face to get me up in the night.. It's usually for a poo if it's after 3 am.

If I haven't been in bed long.. It's because my son has come to bed on time.. So she's late for her second bedtime biscuit so wants to go downstairs and hurry him up.

If she doesn't want a poo, my son is already in bed then she wants to sleep in his bedroom.

Yes I pander to her. It works am afraid she's taught me well.

She is an extremely licky dog as a rule..so it's not out of character per se and if you name your dog after a pokemon, you are going to get a little pocket monster to some degree.

Kakite and Eevee boo like this.
  7. Eevee boo

Lol.... yes, the boys named her after a Pokemon!

She wasn’t as bad last night. Settled fairly quickly and let me turn over.
    I’m thinking of getting some Lily’s kitchen bed time biscuits. They are meant to be calming. Does anyone have any experience of these?

8. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

It's a 'Cavvie hug' (Google it!) or have a peep at the discussion here :D

Many years ago when my wife first introduced me to Cavaliers I didn't believe her when she told me there is such a thing as a Cavvie Hug - I do now. I have had many, many breeds but non that crave the face hug as a Cavvle does. Of our three I have one who whitters whilst pressing her face against mine, one who 'kisses' (licks) and one who lays her head against your neck so hard you can't breath! They will often do it when they feel you are stressed.

I suspect that your Cavalier has picked up on some different emotions either from the loss of your cat or from Christmas or whatever and she feels you need an extra cuddle. You have to be firm with Cavaliers or else they would cuddle you forever.

Lip licking can mean stress but as always you need to look at the whole body and in context rather than one action - Cavaliers can be very dramatic! They can also be controlling - if she wants a cuddle then you will supply it.

All my dogs get a few biscuits at night but as you have described a Cavvie hug perfectly I doubt that 'hunger' is the reason.

J

lullabydream and Eevee boo like this.
  9. Eevee boo

Thank you jamesgoeswalkies.... that’s really reassuring...... I think you’re probably right on this. She’s sooo needy and affectionate...... and I’ve found it hard to deal with the death of my cat... it may just be a mix of all that.

I love her to bits... but yes.... she’s a major drama queen!

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice