Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why is my dog behaving so weird?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by kazurengan, Sep 1, 2018.

1. kazurengan

kazurengan PetForums Newbie

Hi i have a miniature female pinscher, she is quite energetic and loves to play. but yesterday late night
    she started to have weird behaviour. She normally sleeps with me on the end edge of my bed. I noticed she hided under my bedshet, So i tried to pull my bedsheet over and she started to growl for some reason, i got up went near her and tried to pull the bedsheet again, she lowered her ears but she growled louder. I yelled at her but she kept growling. so i just went to sleep without worrying to much.
    Today afternoon the same behaviour happened again, but on my living room's sofa this time. she was under a pillow with a bedsheet below and when my mom got near her i heard some growl again. i went near her and
    she started to growl again. Also she mourns a lot when me or my mom gets home. she usually does that but not with that frequency, also sometimes i'm in my room and she starts mourning again. And when i ask her what's wrong, she grabs her toy. I don't understand. I usually play with her and we go for a walk often. So i don't get this weird behaviour coming from her.
    Also She has a rabies vaccine.

My vet is closed at weekends so i'm asking here to have an idea of what it could be.
    Thank you

2. danielled

danielled Guest

Emergency vets never close though. I’d have taken her to the emergency vets to rule out anything medical going on.

3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

She doesn't need an Emergency Vet at this point.

Has she recently been in season? It appears she may be having a phantom pregnancy.

4. kazurengan

No not been in season

5. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

First visit the Vet and rule out physical problems, then look at why otherwise she may be growling.
    She is most likely scared, confused or whatever when she growls, and I don't think that 'yelling' at her is going to help.
    I think you need a good, positive behaviourist to look at this to tell you what is the cause and how to deal with it before it escalates.
    In the meantime try to be non-confrontational with her. For example, use titbits to lure her to where you want her to be rather than manhandling her.
    I'm sure there'll be more advice here soon.

6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

How old is she and has she been spayed?

If a phantom is ruled out, then her behaviour could well suggest she has some pain.

It would be a good idea to begin with a visit to your Vet.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. kazurengan

Yes i thought this was a normal behaviour from her, but it repeated again today. i'll need to visit my vet asap. i just hope it's nothing too serious

No she isn't spayed.
    I forgot to mention. her growling behaviour only happens when she is on sofa or any beds in my home
    besides that she is just often mourning and not being agressive at all.

8. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

She could be resource guarding. That is, protecting what she sees as 'her space'.

Could you get a behaviourist/trainer to come to your home and advise you?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Please don't yell at your dog for growling, she is trying to communicate something with you. I don't understand your use of the word "mourning". What do you mean by that?

How old is she?

What's her diet?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  10. kazurengan

I think it might be that, last night when i went to sleep she started to growl. she annoyed me and i got her out of my room
    she never did this so that's why i'm so pissed off with her. Now i'm forbidding her for remain in certain places where she used to be

She is 3 years old. By mourning i mean she usually cries a lot now when me or my mom go away from home.
    Yes i probably shouldn't yell at her but it really pisses me off how aggressive she is becoming at me and my mom. really can't control myself when she does that
    especially when we didn't treat her bad or anything
    She eats mostly ration, sometimes rice with different kinds of meat

11. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

As Linda said, respect the growl. She is trying to communicate.

Dogs give a series of signals that they are unhappy, but unfortunately most people don't recognise them because they can be quite subtle. To begin with there is often wide eyes, lip licking and yawning. There is also muscular tension in the body. Then the ones we sometimes do see - growl, snarl, nip then bite. If the early signals are not seen (or, in the dog's view, ignored) he won't bother with them because us stupid humans pay no attention anyway; so he may go straight to the bite. So it's important never to ignore a growl.

12. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I'm guessing you're not in UK??
    'Treating bad' is subjective and depends what the standards of pet care are in your location and culture.
    Can you tell us if trainers and behaviourists are available to you?
    I really think you need outside help to sort out this problem, going by the way you are reacting to her behaviour. You sound as if you think she's doing this to be annoying, or trying to get the better of you, or that she should show gratitude that you don't 'treat her bad'.
    You need somebody close at hand to tell you what she is really thinking when she behaves this way, not what you and your Mum think she's thinking.
    Can you work on ways to avoid putting her in the situations where she growls etc. Sometimes managing something so that it isn't repeated is the first step. Stopping her sleeping in places where she is growling, and giving her her own place to go to (with kind encouragement) is a good start,
    In the meantime please try to remember that she is a dog, and her point of view is very different to yours.

JoanneF likes this.
  13. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

As the human it is your job to "control yourself" and find out what is bothering your dog. Yelling at her isn't teaching her anything. Something is wrong and she is telling you something is wrong. Pay attention and find out what it is.

How are you going to teach her not to growl when you growl (yell) right back?

The people here can help you help your dog. I hope you are listening.

danielled likes this.
  14. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Screenshot_20171122-225448.png

JoanneF and lorilu like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice