Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why is my cat overweight? asks a vet!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by RichardJordan, Oct 8, 2013.

1. RichardJordan

RichardJordan PetForums Junior

Take a look at your neighbourhood cats and you'll see a mixture of healthy and obese felines.

My own cat Milly is in very good condition because I feed her the recommended amount of food and I don't top up her bowl if she eats it all.
    If she wants more food she'll have to go out and catch it!

I'm interested to find out why people overfeed their cats?
    Is it that they just don't understand the manufacturer's recommendations?

Vet John Cousins says that humans are to blame for overweight cats.
    Why is my cat overweight? - VioVet Blog

[​IMG]

2. shortandfurry

shortandfurry PetForums Senior

None of the cats round here look overweight :)

My mother in law's cat is overweight because she gets no exercise, and is fed every time she miaows, whether there's already food in her bowl or not. She has a constantly-topped-up bowl of dry, and wet food whenever she makes a noise. :/

She (MIL) is in her eighties and doesn't really get it.

3. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

We feed our cat every time he asks for food, and he gets as much as he wants. He's lost weight since we moved him from dry to carb-free wet and raw.

Cats aren't greedy, it's just that they get fed the wrong stuff.

4. shortandfurry

shortandfurry PetForums Senior

I don't think MIL's cat is always asking for food though - she's probably just saying hello or wanting some fuss most of the time.
    When she "talks" to me, I have a chat with her and give her some fuss and/or playtime.

She will miaow extra loud and lead you to her bowl when she wants food though, so it's quite obvious :D but MIL seems to think every vocalisation means "feed me".

5. bella2013

bella2013 PetForums VIP

one of my mums cats is slightly overweight, they both get fed exactly the same but zena just seems to be slightly more curvy :eek:. I guess its down to genetics with her a bit as her dad was the biggest moggy I had ever seen. they get two pouches of felix each (mother wont listen when it comes to food) split over three meals.

6. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

One of my cats is slightly over weight through no fault of mine.

Both cats are raw fed & each meal is weighed out accordingly for each cat. However, Winnie hunts, catches & eats so many mice each day that she is chubbier than I would like.

I have tried reducing her food to take in to account the mice but it doesn't appear to have made much difference.

I would completely dispute that cats aren't greedy, our other cat, George (was a stray for 2yrs before we adopted him) will raid bins, eat fruit, steal from the dogs/us,lick pots/plates/the floor, etc as he is constantly on the look out for food (nothing wrong medically btw). He doesn't hunt much as he is far too busy sunning himself in the conservatory

7. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

One of my cats (now sadly deceased) was grossly overweight. She was a big cat, but even allowing for that, at 28lbs (2 STONES), she was a porker. She was an active cat and an energetic hunter. She was a free roamer and went out a lot, so it wasn't the lack of opportunity for exercise, and she and her (teeny-weeny) sister would spend the whole night chasing each other round and round the house and up and down the stairs - it sounded like a herd of wildebeest! She was, however, very greedy and would eat ANYTHING, including peppers, mushrooms and a variety of other veg. She particularly liked toast and butter for her breakfast.

We did worry a bit about her weight. We put her on a diet - and she stole anything she could that was edible. She would be found with her head in a bag of cat biscuits, hoovering them up, having torn the bag open with her machete-like claws. Round 1 to her.

We then incarcerated her in an indoor kennel - she screamed the place down, howling and shrieking as though her head was trapped in a vice and Hitler was pulling out her whiskers one by one. The racket was horrendous - my next-door neighbour came round to ask if everything was alright. We conceded the bout.

We accepted that we had a loving, lovely, but massive cat. Life went on - she continued to eat enough food each day to choke a good-sized pig, and we just thought "Oh well."

Then one day we realised that she was a bit thinner. Over the next few days she lost more weight, and at first we were delighted, and then we realised that she was losing so much, so quickly that there had to be something wrong, so we took her to the vet. Over-active thyroid. On medication for 6 months to stabilise her body functions which had been damaged by her problem, and then surgery to remove her thyroid and more (presumably different) medication for the rest of her life. She put all of her weight back on, and lived another six years, dying at the age of 18. SHe was the best, most loving, squashiest cat ever, and I would give my eye teeth to have her back on my knee, crushing my legs into numbness.

Bye Bye Paco baby - I still love you. Wait for me.

8. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

She sounds a lovely (big) cat ... who loved her food! :)

My Basil (also now deceased) was a greedy chops as well. We used to watch his weight constantly. He once stole half a pizza (an extra large) & dragged it under the bed. I ended up squashing myself under the bed trying to get it off of him as he fought back - my OH said it was hilarious. I miss moments like that, he made me laugh so much

9. sashski

sashski PetForums Senior

Take this for example.

Diesel and Isabelle. Sisters adopted by us at 10 weeks old.
    From the very word go Isabelle was always 500g heavier than Diesel. They both had the same amount of food = raw, if treats were dished out they had equal. I always thought Diesel could have been the runt of the litter.
    They both love to run about playing rough and tumble with each other and both go mental for the bird!

However now, Isabelle has the nickname Mrs Fatty because she will eat anything and everything. 2nd helpings of raw if she can, so I now have to feed them separately and when she's inhaled hers, she will go to see if she can bully diesel into letting her have the rest of hers. :rolleyes:
    Diesel would quite happily eat a teaspoon on food and walk away and that would be it for the rest of the day.

At the last weigh in a month or so ago when they had their boosters Isabelle was 4.9kg :eek: and diesel is still a skinny 3.88kg and they're only 1 year old.
    I've decided to cut Mrs Fatty's food down a bit to trim her down a touch so the floor doesn't shake when she jumps!!

Yet if you look on the curvy cat scale to judge on body shape to see if they're over weight they both look perfect weight, Isabelle carries hers underneath and has quite a large pouch, whereas diesel doesn't - could this have been caused by the spaying op?

10. gentoo1980

gentoo1980 PetForums Member

Oh don't cut her food down. My cat Fats had to have an injection when I think he was around 10 months old. The vet asked if they had his weight I said no so she said he'll be around 4.5kg. She came back into the room job smacked saying "big cat, big cat" and said he weghed 5.8kg (or maybe 5.5kg)

Anyways when he'd stopped growing he weighed 6.2kg (I think) and I asked if he was over wegithed and the vets said no you just have athletic cats.

He is tall(ish) and looked like a little pantha his brother however had a very small head for a male cat and was very slim looking yet he weighed 6.3kg!

I think your cat is just like my two were. It's most likely mussle and not fat.

Or if you're going to put her on a diet take her to the vets for weight assemsnet first.

11. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

Lovely to read about all our chubby kitties. Paco and her sister Soozee were our first ever cats, and I had always understood that although dogs were greedy, a cat would eat as much as she needed, and no more. All I can say is - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

They're just like us people - some (like my son's ex-fiancee), will let you pay forty quid for a meal for her, eat two mouthfuls and claim to be full (ooooh - this used to annoy me!). Others (like me) will eat everything within reach otherwise - well, it'll just go off, and that's waste isn't it? Think of all the children starving in Africa.

I'm now just delighted to accept my cats and dogs with all their faults and foibles as long as they are happy and healthy. After all, it's the principle on which I live my life, why shouldn't they enjoy theirs as well? :)

12. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

I take it back. Go George! :thumbsup:

Images of Garfield come to mind... :D

13. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

LOL, that pretty much sums him up. At this very moment he's had to be shut out as he's been bullying the dogs & trying to steal their breakfast - he's either brave, stupid or just so very greedy!! :rolleyes: :D

14. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

15. gentoo1980

My sister inlaw came round and saw one of my new cats and said "oh looks like Garflied" her son saw him next day and said same thing. When I finaly watched the Movie he did look exaclty like him, same face and big belly, even the eyes, just a black and white version.

Lovely cat he was. He was 1kg over weight, I told the nurse who was assessing his weight that he's not as active as my other cats, how do you get them to exercise
    I swear she said "just give him a little poke with ya finger when he's laying down" :D

I was going to get him a harness so I could get him out of the house more. I had an image in my head of me and Jeesy running up street with the Rocky movie sound track playing, me making him jump up and down the neighbours yard walls going "JESSEY! JESSEY!" lol but never got round to a harness.

He's been rehomed since, I do hope the new owner has sorted his weight out.

16. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Where would we be without such professional expertise :rolleyes:

17. gentoo1980

To the original post. I have five cats , four all of them are allowed to eat as much as they can in one meal twice a day. Mina though will eat her own food, plus anyone elses and if my cats being fed at different times then I've to stay till they've finished or else Mina will polish it off.

She's the only cat that's over weight, even though her second meal of the day has been reduced for a year. She was born on the streets but handled from a young kitten and allowed to sepnd her days inside a mortor macanics garage so was fully domestiacted when I found her. Spayed her at 8-10 month put her back on streets for another year until I took her in as my own cat. That's the reason she's over weight, cause she spent first 18 months of her life eating when ever she could and even though I've had her 3 year she's still trying to do that.

With a cat you just allow them to eat what they want, they can't talk to you so you don't know when there appitie has been satisifed.

Obviosly if you have a cat that's gaining to much weight then you've to dictate how much he/she eats.

I never go off what it says on the packet because every cat is different and some days they're not as active as others.

Some days they'll eat more, other days they'll choose the eat less at home. I'm sure that's cause they've managed to get food from outside. I fed Bebe other night and she threw all her food up because she'd managed to somehow swollow a small cooked bone that was as long as my index finger so I know some of my cats are scavaging.

They also seem to eat more in winter and all put a little weight on but soon loose it when spring arrives.

Sorry that was quite a rant!

18. gentoo1980

I know! The vetianry practice is the best I've ever been a customer off but that was pretty silly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice