Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why Is Cat Weeing Everywhere?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by fleetingmind, Jul 24, 2009.

1. fleetingmind

fleetingmind PetForums Newbie

My in laws bought 2 kittens several months back and one of them a grey female has had cat flu which she almost died of (better now) and rarely used the litter tray instead doing it around the house including on beds. The local vet says it could be stress due to the other animals they have (3 x English mastiffs, 1 x kitten, 1 x cat, 4 x roosters, 10 x chickens, ducks, geese etc).
    So reluctantly they wanted a new home for her so we took her in.

First few days she was good as gold and used her litter tray and enjoyed being in a home with no stress. On the third night I agreed to leave the door open to the 3rd floor where all the bedrooms are and where we all sleep. This night the moment my wife and I got into bed she jumped on the bed and pi55ed on it - my side as well!!!
    Now both my mother in law and sister in law work in a vets and say she did the same when she was at home. They think that it was due to my wife being on her monthly and was the cats way of protecting her.

Anyway she was put downstairs and door shut again. Now the cat never goes up stairs now even when the door is open during the day.

Yesterday morning I was going to work and the cat followed me down to the ground floor (3 floor townhouse). The litter tray is by the front door and while I was getting my coat on she scratched the door mat then done her business on the door mat.
    The same night I was in the office (Which is right by her litter tray) and instead of doing it in her litter tray she jumped in our silver cross buggy and did it in there.

My wife has just told me that she has done it again in a wicker basket by the front door (litter tray is about a metre away).

Now there are allot of cats in the area and she has not been spaded yet (booked in on Monday as neighbour said she could be coming into season) we have two young children who can also be over friendly with her.

Is there a reason for her doing this? Do some cats just do it and won't change, Is she in season and not spaded, marking her territory, doesn't like to do it in litter tray if people are there.

Having her in our home was to see if having no 'stress' stopped her doing it and until yesterday she was doing great apart from on the bed. In laws said they would take her back if she continued to do it. I'm not the biggest cat lover but my wife and kids love her but I can't take her pi55ing everyday.

Any ideas or suggestions.

Sorry for the long rant but thought best to give all the facts.

2. gemmstoned

gemmstoned PetForums Newbie

I'm kind of in the same position but with a male, I was recommended to bring his castration forward which I did at 5months rather than 6 and hes still doing it.

I'm considering trying those feliway diffusers, which apparently help, but I am confused about distinguishing between inappropriate wee'ing and actually scent marking, as per the feliway website, the diffuser will only help with marking?

I'm assuming any urinary problems have been ruled out ? which is the other thing I am now considering, but as he was only at vets yesterday and has wet food not dry I would have thought they would have looked into this, as we have told them the problem.

Sorry Ive not been much help, I'm a newbie, but your thread was of interest and I hope you get it sorted, I'm sick of washing pi55y clothes every day :(

Best wishes

3. fleetingmind

fleetingmind PetForums Newbie

I've taken a few steps and it seems to be working so far!!! We have 3 floors and all the weeing (Apart form on the bed) has taken place on the ground floor where her litter tray is and by the front door. I have closed off the office down there, i open the front and back door when she wants to go outside and she goes out and has a roam around.
    At different times in the day esp after eating i pick her up and take her to her litter tray and put her in it. Then leave her in peace. Allot of times she has gone.
    If we're downstairs and she comes down I tend to move away so she has some peace and quiet to go.

We took her to the vet and he said that if she has Cistitis then she would wee everywhere and would have no control over her weeing.

Changing litter tray every 2 days and soiled litter throughout the day also does help us as out cat won't go in the same place twice in the litter tray if it is soiled.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice