Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why has this happened?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Acacia86, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Hi all, some of you might remember a thread i made a while ago about my girls fur.

Well, she was spayed in May (i think lol!) and her fur started growing back black! I waited to see if their was any change............and well there's not! She now has a black square of fur on her left side :eek: :(

She is a blue eyed seal point..........moggie! I have attached a picture.

Can anyone think why this has happened!!!

Attached Files:

2. jaxx

jaxx PetForums VIP

It looks like she's a Siamese. My sisters siamese's fur changed colour after she was spade. Apparently it's to do with skin temperature. Because your cat has had a bald patch, the fur has come through dark so that it will absorb more heat. My sis's cat changes colour every winter and summer from light to dark etc. I'm not sure if your cats fur will fade or not but my sis's cats did eventually.

3. little_miss_kitty

little_miss_kitty PetForums Senior

Hi

I'm not sure why this happens, there was another thread about it somewhere, but my vet warned me before I had Lola spayed that the fur can grow back a different colour so people who show their females usually have the incision done on the cats belly instead so if it does grow back a different colour its less noticable.

My vet gave me this option btu I turned it down and luckily Lolas fur has grown back a slightly differnt colour but its taking FOREVER to grow back. Its still really noticable now and still not back to its normal length and she was spayed a few months ago now.

4. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Spot on, any cat which has the Colourpoint colour gene will do this.... i.e. siamese, ragdolls, snow bengals etc... The colouring is temperature dependent which is why these colour cats are born white, and the points develop later. If the skin gets cold, a patch of dark hair develops.

Siamese/Colourpoint gene cats get darker in cold weather and colder countries, and a great deal lighter in hot weather or tropical places. When I did a study on Siamese cats in their native country they were all a lot lighter than ours.

It will come in the usual colour after the next moult - it's not permanent :)

5. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

I've read about this happening somewhere, but I can't remember where :eek: I seem to remember it being something to do with body heat :idea: I do remember it recommended having pedigrees spayed mid line instead of on their side to prevent it happening, which is what I did with my Ragdoll Mia. Can't remember if it was permanent or if it stays like that. Bit of a waste of time this post (mine) isn't it :blushing::D

6. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

She's not! She is a moggie! Her mum is my my tabby moggie girl, Lilo, and her dad is a black moggie (my friends)!

Yeah i was told that, but there has been heat waves here and it is pretty much jet black! I don't mind either way, she looks funky like this! lol! But it would be nice to see her coat back to normal!

I have never noticed any changes in her coat before............

xx

7. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

No its interesting! x

8. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Moggie or not she is colourpoint.... doesn't need to be a pedigree, the gene behaves the same! She will moult out to usual colour in time :) May be blacker because the weather was hot at the time = more contrast with temperature on her bald bit.

9. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Thanks! I don't mind whatever colour she is, but she does look funny with a black patch!! lol!! It wasn't a good picture because she wasn't standing.

How come its only c/p's that get this?
    x

10. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

My earlier message :) same in Himalayan-gene rabbits, mice, rats and others :)

11. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

It just baffles me!! lol! I do get it now though! I will update you all in a few months!

12. _soph_

_soph_ PetForums Junior

I think she looks absolutely beautiful WITH the black patch!! I hope it stays - It does make her look Funky!!:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice