Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

why dont people learn????

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by frags, Jul 7, 2009.

1. frags

frags PetForums VIP

as most of you know i was trying to get the blue buck from the bad breeder as she kept loosing them all to myxi and poor living conditions etc.
    well i heard last night she is now buying more does and intends on breeding again!!!
    how can this be stopped? it bloody cant and im fuming!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

as a breeder myself i know it take alot of time a day to devote yourself (well i do anyway) and she has 3 children and another due in 3 months time :eek: how can she possibly breed after not having the time before!!!

im soooooooooooo peeved off!!!

why do some people just breed for money? they dont get jabs they live in tiny stacks and have no exercise or even see day light as they are permantly in a shed!

sorry i really needed that rant!!

money grabbing cow!!

2. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

God it really annoys me when people are like this and wont learn it just shows they dont care about the animals in the slightest just after money! poor animals dont stand a chance.

ive no idea what can be done to stop her not sure what rspca inspectors will do but im sure if they did take them away from her she would just go out and get more.

im guessing ur not friendly with this woman at all to try and presuade her not to? argh i just hate it! silly woman

3. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

Its annoying but as you say you can't do anyhting about it. All they are interested in is money through and through.

4. frags

frags PetForums VIP

RSPCA didnt do nothing!!
    i was friendly but i try to stear very clear now.

5. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

God some inspectors drive me mad their no better by allowing it to happen luckily up here we'v got some good ones.

i just wish u had to have some sort of certificate to be allowed to breed any animal and prove ur keepin up good living areas just such a shame to know what life these rabbits are going to have:(

spose one good thing about rspca is that theyv jst changed the animal collection offers role and are changing alot of stall roles and training them to be animal welfare officers to get them out there to investigate mistreatment like this lets hope it works and somet will start to get done can always hope anyway...

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Unless she is breaking animal welfare laws, there's nothing the RSPCA CAN do.

Theres no law stating you cant irresponsibly breed for money. As long as the animals basic needs are catered for, then in the eyes of the law, theres nothing that can be done.

7. frags

frags PetForums VIP

i totally agree there should be a licence for breeding and it should also cost money and you should have to have inspections on the welfare of the breeding animals.
    there is alot of attention on the breeding of dogs that are very poorly kept but hardly anything on rabbits and other small animals!

8. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

But it must be a welfare issue their contracting myxi and have poor living conditions she may be feeding them but its a welfare issue now that they arent getting exerside or show natural behaviours

stupid stupid woman but no doubt it goes on loads everywhere without people realising.

9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Vaccinations arent a legal requirement. Aslong as she wasnt denying them veterinary treatment when diseased, then again, she isnt breaking the law.

The problem with a lot of cruelty, is that its very hard to prove, and the RSPCA do prefer to educate and give pet owners the benfit of the doubt, because places within rescue centres are incredibly limited, and not all animals will be able to find a place.

Yet if they RSPCA were to take, and euthanise a perfectly healthy animal because of lack of space, people would be horrifed.

I dont agree with what this womans doing, and she is the scum of the earth in my eyes. Sadly animal welfare laws are a bit crap. There are plenty of guildlines, but no solid rules and laws in relation to housing, freedom and exercise.

10. frags

frags PetForums VIP

is getting her partner to do the PTS classed as breaking the law? although i cant prove it :( but i know it happens!

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I dont think its illegal to kill your own animal, aslong as its done in a humane manner. Afterall, petshops are taught how to dispatch sick and/or injured animals.

Im not 100% sure, so ill look it up.

Although ive done it myself, i dont think i could anymore, and certainly not with a large animal like a rabbit. All mine get euthanised by the vet.

12. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Ahhh this is so frustrating, I do actually believe people like this are just plain cruel evil individuals that should never be allowed near an animal.

I'm really sick of people making out they dont do thinks like vacc buns and spay does because they dont beleive in it, its for the sake of their wallet and convienence nothing else, they dont care what anyone tells them. Its the buns that suffer in the end and its really not far, wish we could rescue them all.

13. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

Many large breeders cull their own animals. It is a sad fact of life.
    I personally could never do it myself however if it is done humanely then that is ok. Unfortunantely with large breed rabbits getting it right first time is not always easy.
    I personally feel for the small fee I get charged by the vet to euthanise my pets I will always go down that route.I owe it to my animals.

It is a shame that people like this have no shame,Policing all small breeders just is not possible so many small animals suffer as a result.

All we can do is try and educate people who buy rabbits and other small animals to vet the breeder first as at the end of the day it is the buyers that keep these people in buisness.If people only bought animals from concientious breeders then the cowboys will have no purpose to keep breeding and have to give up.

Trouble is so many people will go to premises where the animals are kept badly and buy the animals because they feel sorry for them,a bit like from pet shops.All this does is encourages them to keep going.Unless everyone refuses to buy from these people then just maybe we could put them out of buisness.

14. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Thats aweful, if only laws could be changed to make every breeder have a licence as said before. I have to admit though I have thought "what would babies look like from Rosie and Charlie" but I'd never breed form them. First thing I do with a new rabbit is get them spayed or castrated before I even have a thought about what babies would be like, I know theres so many in rescues and being abandoned because of breeders like this who will sell to anyone for a quick buck.

15. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I think the best way to handle this would be to either meet with her or write a letter which doesnt put her down but lays the facts out and says how she can avoid infection/illness and sets out reasonable living conditions for rabbits and the time and money needed by each rabbit.
    also maybe state about the amount of rabbits in foster homes etc and if she checks the standard of where the babys go to.
    Also if she still insists on getting breading going you or anyone could help her build decent bunny houses. (i remember seeing a shed full as a kid, still haunts me and i can still smell the smell :()
    she probably doesnt realise what she is doing (ignorance is bliss) and educating her is the best way (and probably only) we can help and hopefully she will make her own conclusion from this...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice