Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why does my rat hate me?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by YenPen, Sep 25, 2019.

1. YenPen

YenPen PetForums Newbie

Hello!
    I'm a new rat owner and my rat is super scared of me. She mostly spends time in her den and when she's roaming around, she runs back to her den when she hears my voice. Ive been trying to feed her treats with my hands and just sitting by the cage, but so far she's only bitten me.
    I did make some progress, i left the cage door open and she slowly went up to my hand, but all she did was bite my finger. Idk what to do.

P. S. I've had her for a couple of days and I'm waiting to get a buddy from a breeder and not the pet store like I did her.

2. heiidi

heiidi PetForums Newbie

Don't worry, she doesn't hate you! She just needs to familiarise herself with you before you form a bond.
    For starters, how large is your cage? Is there a possibility you could upload a photo of it? How many items are in it, and can you reach every area of the cage with ease/no obstacles?

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

It will help when she has a buddy :)

Our Dumbos were a bit nippy at first and tbh it made me a bit jumpy so I found putting on a soft gardening glove gave me the confidence not to flinch if they tried to nip.

I also avoided picking them up at first unless absolutely necessary and used a small basket, held up to the cage door with a few treats in and they would climb in quite happily. Same when needing to put them back after free ranging.

Fudge was always a total sweetie but Poppy would occasionally still use teeth, albeit quite gently, so I liked to keep an eye on her ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice