UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my kitten Stella is about 10 weeks old now and really starting to come out of her shell and getting more confident every day!!

At first she was running away when we moved in her direction, now slowly, she's becoming more curious and is staying put longer each time!!

She likes to sit on my dining room chairs and when i'm down on the floor talking or playing with her, she'll come over to my (head level) and sniff my mouth...why does she do this??

She doesnt do it to anyone else, or to any other part of me...just my mouth!!! lol. Its making me paranoid!!

Sometimes after a sniff she'll rub her face on mine...i have to make myself stay still as its so tickly!! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ye, I think you may be right...I had thought that but just wanted to check incase it was a predatory kind of thing...we're still getting used to each other and quite often I can be stroking get and she'll suddenly bite my hand (I think she's just being playful coz she never breaks skin) so I'm just not too confident with her at times :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
She is only a baby and like kids they get sore teeth when their adult ones comes through so biting can become an issue but as long as you as stern with her not harsh she will soon get the idea that it is not acceptable.

Rough and tumble play is also really good for her to vent some energy! She is learning you as much as you are learning her so set your boundaries early and you two will have loads of fun!!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Rubbing you with her face is actually a method of scent marking as she has scent glands in her cheeks. She is marking you as her own :D We call it 'kissing' here- my mum has a boy who gives 'kisses' on demand!

It is definitely a sign of affection. Darcy was giving me a good rubbing this morning at stupid o'clock which was fine until she gave me a love bite on the nose :mad: It ruined the moment and she earned herself a telling off!! :rolleyes:

·
Banned
4,669 Posts
Face rubbing is a sign of love and affection, as someone has already said, she's rubbing her scent on you and marking you as 'hers'. Enjoy it, it's quite a compliment :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aww I'm pleased she's doing it now!! She started doing it every time she's on my lap for a cuddle, so cute now I'm getting used to it! She'll tottle up my chest and have a good sniff of my face (as I'm trying not to breathe too hard in her face and scare her off...along with not squirming coz her whiskers tickle me!) then have a bit rub and settle herself back down again :)

Also, what's the best way to tell her off when she starts getting too rough? At the moment I'm just saying a stern 'No'...is this enough? She usually stops and looks at me for a couple of seconds then starts nibbling or grabbing again x

·
Banned
4,669 Posts
A stern 'No' and if she persists, put her out the room for 5 minutes. Some also find a short, sharp puff in the face works too, but I would start with popping her out the room for 5 minutes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.