Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why does my dog make these sounds?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by daveearley, Oct 16, 2019.

1. daveearley

daveearley PetForums Newbie

I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback mix and she is 2.5 years old. I've been meaning to get into a forum and ask this question for some time, and am just getting around to it now. Abbey makes different sounds for different animals that she sees.

When she sees a dog outside she barks loudly, but slowly.
    When she sees a cat outside she makes whining sounds, almost like she is pouting.
    When she sees a raccoon or fox she will add growling to a more aggressive bark.
    When she sees a human she does not know she barks, but if she recognizes the person(neighbor) she makes a whisper type of bark.
    When she sees a squirrel she makes no sound at all. She simply watches, or will chase one until it runs up a tree.

Do your dogs make similar sounds to these? Why does she seemingly make a different sound for everything she sees? Is it a way to inform me as to what she is seeing, or is there another reason?

raysmyheart likes this.
  2. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums VIP

From what I've learned from walking my reactive dog.
    Low/growly bark = "get away from me, I'm scared of you"
    High/screamy bark= "I want to play with you"/ "I want to chase that rabbit!)
    Ears back, tail wagging & pulling on lead = I know you and love you!
    Ears back, tail tucked & backing away = get me out of here, I'm terrified!"

It may be different with other dogs, not sure.

raysmyheart likes this.
  3. daveearley

daveearley PetForums Newbie

I forgot to mention all of these sounds come from behind the windows inside the house. She rarely ever barks outside while hiking or walking. She does bark in the yard when she hears sounds but cannot see where the sound is coming from.

It may be a personality thing, but I kind of figured the different sounds were her way of notifying me of what she saw. Of course, it could also be that she just gets more excited over certain animals - in this case cats. She has produced a single scream bark, like you said, crouched down in front of a cat which is raising its claw high in the air to strike. Alas, cats just do not play like that, as much as she would like them to.

raysmyheart likes this.
  4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

More like communicating, to you, her emotional state regarding what she sees.

raysmyheart likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice