Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why does my dog have to use the bathroom every 10 minutes?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Ethan Hershey, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Ethan Hershey

Ethan Hershey PetForums Newbie

My 5 year old Boston Terrier has alot of issues, among one is that she has to used the bathroom every- (I would say 5 seconds but thats obviously not true, just the way I feel) 10 minutes, constantly needing to go out she doesn't have a liter box aswell, I take her outside, I can tell when she needs to go cause sometimes she'll cry and 99% of times she'll try to get my attention, take me to the door, then look at me, why is this?

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Has your vet checked her? Maybe a UTI?

Sairy, Bugsys grandma and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Ethan Hershey

Ethan Hershey PetForums Newbie

Oh god, it may indeed be a UTI, she shows almost every symptom on a list I'm looking at.

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

A course of antibiotics will clear it up but she does need to see a vet.

5. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

You want to make sure the vet prescribes meloxicam as well, at least for the first few days of the AB course.

UTIs can be really super painful, which means the tendancy is for the animal (dog or human or whoever) to not fully empty their bladder each time they pee because it hurts too much. This is one of the main contributing causes of lots of little pees, as obviously not emptying your bladder fully then means it still kinda feels like you need to pee. Not fully emptying the bladder creates an environment that's pretty cushty for the bacteria. So as well as for pain management reasons, the painkiller will also help the ABs to be as effective as possible. And thirdly, meloxicam is specifically a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory painkiller. So if there's any secondary inflammation occuring along the urinary tract as a result of all of the above, it can be soothed.

However some vets (and some doctors!) tend to go "oh well, it's only for a couple of days" and pass off the excruciating pain as not worth considering. Thankfully it's getting more common as standard practice :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice