Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

why does my cat smell my hair?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ewelsh, Apr 2, 2011.

1. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Can anyone tell me why my cat sticks her nose into my hair every day and has a really good sniff? At first I just laughed but she has been doing this every day for months now... I would just like to understand why she soes this.:blink: odd or normal???

2. aesir22

aesir22 PetForums Junior

Mine does the same with me, and my housemate who has really thick curly hair. I think he thinks its one big weird shaped cat :D

3. Shayden

Shayden Banned

lol ur lucky thats all ur cat does!, mines tries to actually eat my hair! lool its fun tho lol

4. Jansheff

Jansheff PetForums VIP

Lol, this reminded me of something I'd forgotten, that used to happen years ago!! Back in the early 90s when we were still all having perms, my black and white cat Jimmy (died seven years ago RIP) would not leave me alone when I'd just had one done! He would climb up on my lap, or on the back of the chair behind me, gently snuffling and going sniff ... sniff .... sniff for hours. :confused: I could only think that for some strange reason he liked the smell. As soon as it wore off, he wasn't interested until 6 months later when I'd been to the hairdressers again.

5. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

That's love!! :001_wub:
    My kitten does it too, but my friend's cat used to knead and suckle my hair! It used to make me giggle endlessly!

6. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

mine does that and trys to bloody eat it :rolleyes:: :nono: rubs his face all over it to!

7. MaineCoonMommy

MaineCoonMommy PetForums Member

lol Minoush does the same with me and with my daughters when they're in bed lol.

8. Smitherooney

Smitherooney PetForums Member

Yep my Rupert has always done this. It's funny to watch him having a good old sniff, lick and then ............. he bits!!!!! :cryin::nono::cryin::nono:
    He loved doing this to an exboyfriend which would make me laugh so much.
    I think they wonder why we only have fur on our heads and they do the same as they would each other in the cat world.

9. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Be grateful it just sniffs your hair!!!! :)

Many years ago my wonderful Boris (long gone but never forgotten) would give me massive cat evils until I undid my pony tail so that he could 'nuzzle' my hair and turn it into a soggy, knotted mass. :mad:

10. Pegster

Pegster PetForums Newbie

When our cats do that to us, my husband says that they're sniffing our brains :D

11. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Hi all... great funny posts, so I haven't got a mad cat then... you all have one too:D
    I do feel sooo much better now, I was even beginning to think she was trying to tell me that there was something medicaly wrong with me.:eek:
    If any one ever finds out what this odd behaviour is...... let us all know.
    P.S I don't have permed hair!;)

12. FrostyPops73

FrostyPops73 PetForums Newbie

How funny. Can't say my cat smells my hair but he has this thing of sitting on the back of the sofa and wafting his tail in my face which causes my eyes to water! Lovely! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice