Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why does learning how to drive cost more for automatic learners

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ad_1980, Aug 7, 2009.

1. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Seriously? Why is it the odd £2 more for automatic learners? Is there a specific reason?

2. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

not sure, maybe they use slightly more fuel?

3. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Why would you want to learn in an automatic? It just restricts you from being able to drive a manual, whereas if you learn in a manual you can drive either once you've passed :confused:

4. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

Less customers more like. the fuel usage is negligable, you'd use just the same as a manual.

Verbatim, not everyone is good with gears, my mates mum couldn't get them at all and had HEAPS of lessons, she had to change to auto-lessons and passed no problems.

Also some disabled people prefer autos. We have a mate who's merely got a damage knee (which will never be right again) and HAS to drive an automatic as she can't use the clutch without enduring quite a bit of pain.

5. Ladywiccana

Ladywiccana PetForums VIP

I learnt to drive in a manual, but now due to my back and other issues i have to drive an automatic, and i must say i really prefer the automatics now!

And im guessing its more because of the cost of an auotmatic transmision engine is awfully expensive to replace if owt goes wrong wiv it, dont know why it should make a difference to the price of the lessons tho, if i were you id ask outright and if they falter with the answer then they doing it just to get extra cash which aint on!

Also if you learn and pass your test in an automatic, you cant drive anything else other than that!, But not everybody can manage driving manuals.:smilewinkgrin:

6. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

As owieprone has stated an automatic is earler for disabled people and i am partially disabled so it would be easier for me.

7. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

My hubby has Muscular Dystrophy and will probably only be able to drive an Automatic. Well maybe not as he has failed 5 times!! LOL!!

He has said he'll have a go in a manual. Never knew it was more expensive.

8. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Its more expensive as its down to supply and demand more learners learn in a manual car.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice