Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why does he want food all the time??

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Acacia86, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Hi everyone, i have had my boy Charlie, who is Dwarf lop, for a couple of months. And all he wants to do is eat!!

He has a constant supply of hay. I also give him a lot of grass and excel food as complementry.
    As well as this he has 2 lots of fresh produce a day, normally this includes: Greens, Broccoli, parsley, carrots, strawberries, cherry tomatoes, green beans, cucumber, lettuce etc etc (not all at once!! lol!) all introduced slowly. And he has had absolutely no problems with his tummy.

But all he wants to do is eat!!! He lives in an indoor cage for now but he is out in the house for many hours in a day. He will be going outside soon which is why i have introduced the grass slowly but steadily.

He is medically very heathly and has a lot of things to occupy him in his cage when he is shut in there.

Why is he so adamant for more food?!?!

2. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

Is he putting on wieght at all?

Lottie one of my rabbits could sit and eat all day, when I rescued her she was so fat that she couldn't clean herself properly. I limit the amount of food they have but everyday when I put the food in she eats it like she's been starved for months and when she goes in the garden she scoffs all my plants and you'd think I hadn't fed her.

In her case she's just greedy and I've had to be cruel to be kind and limit her food. She has now lost weight and I'm sure she's happier for it.

Do you think Charlie could just be greedy? if he's not putting on weight though then he must be burning it off. Not sure how much growing rabbits eat as it's been a while since I've had a young one!

3. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

rabbits are grazers all they do is eat and eat and sleep, my bun will do anything for a couple of pellets, which seems really means but she needs to eat her hay. (if you imagine how much hay you would need to eat to get enough calories, this is why they have to eat so often)
    a friend for him might means he eats a little less and runs around a bit more.
    also I wouldnt feed him any lettuce i know some varieties are ok for buns but it has very little vitamins etc

4. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

Ha ha thats rabbits for you! I did get told that rabbits dont actually know when they are full up so they can just eat and eat! How true this is im not sure!

Stan eats all the time, he is such a greedy bugger and he has a big dog dish full of food and veg twice daily plus other bits now and again through the evening and he still wants more!

Suppose its like any animal they all just want to eat! lol :D

5. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

You should never give watery veg like lettuce to rabbits it can cause them to have the runs. But as others have said rabbits are grazers and constantly eat a bit like cows in a way. My rabbits all but one have free range of the garden all day and they spend most of it eating grass, plants and any pears/apples that drop from our trees. My newest addition George only has a short time on the grass at the moment because he's a baby and too much grass will upset his belly but he constantly eats the hay I give him and when he is on the grass he thinks its his birthday and won't stop eating.

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You could try putting his mix/pellets into a food dispenser rather than a bowl.

I use various balls, and some of the Nina Ottossen brain toys for my rabbits. Makes them work for their food, and takes them much longer.

7. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

Miffy loves her treat ball, anything for the pellets

8. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Thanks guys. He is perfect weight, not getting too fat lol! Maybe it is because he burns it off, i will keep a close eye on him but other than that carry on as i have!

P.s He doesn't get lettuce a lot. When he does it is a small amount. I know it can cause the runs because when i had my many bunnies a few years ago i limited them on it for this reason! He has been absolutely fine with his freshies!

9. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Its just keeping an eye on the rabbit feed/pellents as they can make them gain weight some times, the hay is also so good for his teeth. Wold rabbits eat alot of grass and wild plants and they dont seem to have the digestion problems some domestic rabbits have.

10. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Never give a rabbit lettuce at all not even a small amount. Make his food a little more challenging like the others have said, i hang leaves up aorund the garage and use a treat ball for the pellets, he sounds like a normal bun to me :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice