Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Why does he keep going and nicking stuff but handing it over quite readily?!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by GoldenShadow, May 12, 2010.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

So now the stair gate is gone Rupert is free to go up and downstairs as he pleases. Often there is my washing on a chair outside my bedroom because my wardrobe is a bit full and its hard to get it all in.

So!

Fatty keeps on going upstairs, nicking something like a bra/top/tights/school tie and then coming downstairs. Thing is he could so easily go in the kitchen to eat whatever it is or do it upstairs, but he makes a point of coming into the front room.

Just now he did it with my tank top. So I tell him to come over here, he walks over to the sofa but puts his head down so I can't reach it. I tell him 'bring it here' and he raises his head and rests the top in my hand, and then drops it on command.

I don't get why he's doing it and then so readily giving it up, any ideas?! He is with me pretty much all day every day, has lots of toys, goes for walkies and can go in and outside as he pleases.

When I take them off him he tends to sit for a few minutes as if he wants something, I tell him he's a good boy when he hands it over, but I'm just not getting why he does it really..! He has never really cared for actually going and getting things, he's more of a 'you throw it, I go and eat it' kind of dog, which is why I'm not sure why he's so willingly bringing them and handing them over...

This morning I had no clothes downstairs. I now have two bras, a pair of tights, two pairs of socks, a tank top and some pyjama bottoms :confused:

Any ideas, seeing as you lot are so smart :D ?

2. michaelasi

michaelasi PetForums VIP

he fancies u I tell u , but he dose the things the other way around , he gets u dressed and as warm as possible :D

keep up with the good work rupert
    :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

3. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Attention seeking?
    If you have previously chased him around or told him off for taking these things, then he might be taking them in the hope you will take some notice of him!

Or, maybe it's because they have a strong scent of you on them. He's a retriever, after all, so he's retrieving things! Is he bringing you things he thinks you might like, after all they must be important to you as they have so much of your secnt on them.

Or, maybe you could use this to start teaching him some interesting things like opening closing doors, helping you with the washing? The latter should more than satisfy his fetish for nicking your clothes! ;)

4. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I would think he is just practising his retreiving skills. Your stuff must have a higher value so is more fun to go and grab but he is bred to give up what he takes without fuss.
    What a clever boy!!:D

5. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

He's a retriever - it's in his genes ;)

Rather than trying to stop him, channel those natural instincts into something positive. Training will work wonders and satisfy his need to do this.

6. GoldenShadow

:lol: at the first post :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know if it is attention seeking because it seems a lot of effort just to be told to hand it over and get a quick scratch for surrendering it :confused:

He knows quite well that if he just walks up to me nuzzles my hand he can have a fuss :blushing:

I don't do chasing either, I would always lose and I'm a rubbish loser :laugh:

And whenever we do throw dummies or toys etc, he would usually rather go get it, then go and eat or play with it, he wouldn't normally give it up, which leads me on to the attention thing about, but it seems like so much effort :confused:

We do play around a bit with some dummies, but even then he doesn't really want to bring it back he'd sooner play on his own. And if I take things, fuss him and throw it, he looks at me like 'omg do you REALLY expect me to go and get that just for you to throw it again?'. And then if he does get it sometimes he just will hide and wont come for toffee... I've tried taking it and giving it back and only throwing once in a while with toys but he always got bored. The dummies are a novelty as they only came Saturday and we've only had a go a couple times, which is why I'm so confused...

#6 GoldenShadow, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  7. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Awww he's being really helpful!!!
    Why not try and get him some new toys and teach him to retrieve them instead of your clothes.
    My labs would just eat them,at least he's giving them back to you!!

8. GoldenShadow

OH don't worry he doesn't give the important things back :lol:

9. rona

rona Guest

He probably did the first one out of Boredom, he found that you actually gave him positive attention, and he craves that from the person he loves.
    He then repeats and repeats because he want more love and attention from you :thumbup:

10. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

LOL - "How To Confuse A Retriever... Part 1"... wrap one of your bras around the dummy and THEN see what he does! :lol:

11. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

My labrador does exactly the same, apart from the easily handing over part.
    He thinks it's lots of fun, mainly because my brother chases him no matter how many times I've told him not to.
    x

12. GoldenShadow

It just seems soooooo much effort though, he knows he gets fuss if he comes and asks for it, he doesn't need to go upstairs and get things :blushing:

:lol: he would probably do something completely unexpected then too :rolleyes:

13. GoldenShadow

Brothers are a pain, mine never do as I ask either..! Seems like they know how to work us doesn't it (the dogs, lol!) :D

14. rona

rona Guest

It's not effort to him it's fun :D
    Bet his tail is wagging away most of the time ;)

15. GoldenShadow

No, he looks sheepish though! Got me wrapped right around his paws :rolleyes:

16. rona

rona Guest

I suppose he's been told off for doing things like that before and he's still unsure of the reaction from you.
    Do you ever play search games with him?

17. GoldenShadow

No, I haven't. I wouldn't know how to do it to be honest...as in when he finds it his prize should be having it, but then then he gets into the habit of not bringing it back so should I get him to bring it back and then give it back to him as his reward :confused:

And its the 'I know I'm not meant to have this, but I don't really care :eek:' kind of sheepish look! He doesn't get told off as such, I just tell him to get over here and hand it over, to which he droops his tail right to the floor and does puppy dog eyes as though he has SUCH a hard life! He willingly hands it over though, whereas if he has a crisp packet thats an entirely different matter getting him to drop that, so the clothing can't be that high value?

18. rona

rona Guest

When I got Alfie and he didn't seem to know how to use his nose, I used to hide treats around the garden and I joined in the hunt for them. I also used to drop something in the long grass when we were out when he wasn't looking and would then walk on but send him back to look for it.
    You could even do that on the longline
    Make it a game and not too serious

19. GoldenShadow

He's not very good just yet at using his nose or eyes so I will have to help probably. That's why I got a pink dummy as well as a blue and a green, thought he might be able to see it a bit better when the grass grows up to give him a bit more of a chance :blushing:

Will be good when my exam are done and I have summer to mess around with him all the time :thumbup:

20. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I think the answer is in his breed name lol ;)

Luna is the same though, I often get random things brought over to me (though she does try and run off first ;))

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice