UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I end a training session with Spencer he goes on a crime spree and steals anything he can get his paws on. I've tried longer sessions, shorter sessions, calmer sessions, more exciting sessions, having a game after a training session and nothing seems to make any difference. Anyone have any idea why? He's a terrible thief at the best of times but I can guarantee a training session will trigger a crime spree. Even while out he'll pick up a leaf or twig or pull up a mouthful of grass to run off with.

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not finish by playing with him? Then he can let off steam in a positive way?
I've tried but he's not interested and will just take off and go and grab something, anything, that isn't one of his toys. I do my best to keep things out of his reach but am finding it impossible to keep absolutely everything out of reach as he'll literally pick up anything.

·
Registered
423 Posts
My dog has a habit of picking up everything when he's out on a walk if he's especially hyper and excited, does your dog enjoy the training sessions? If so maybe it's just put him in a very happy excited mood.

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He seems to really enjoy training. He comes running when he thinks there might be a training session and will often try to get me to start one by offering certain behaviours. As I say, he's a thief at the best of times but any other time I can redirect him to a toy to run around with or play with me with but at these times it's like he's possessed by a need to steal something and he can't be redirected or distracted until he's done so :confused:

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could you keep an extra special toy that he only gets at the end of a training session? Something very high value like one you can put food in or a rabbit skin dummy - would that manage to keep his attention?
I've tried a stuffed Kong, no interest until he's stolen something. Won't even look at his toys either, not even his beloved giant tennis ball that he's rarely seen without. It really is bizarre :confused:

It's not really a big issue for me as he's happy to either give items up if asked or once he's stolen something and had it for a minute or two will lose interest if ignored. I just wonder why he's doing it.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Dex is a terrible kleptomaniac - he regularly sneaks into people's rooms and bags and pinches stuff :)

Maybe Spencer is just teasing you...? Dex will sometimes take things when he wants to be chased, or when he wants attention. Maybe Spencer loves the training so much he just wants to continue interacting with you...?

LOL maybe he thinks he's rewarding you :D

·
Registered
23,249 Posts
I just wonder why he's doing it.
Im def no expert but isnt that just what Labs do??:D
He is very happy with his training session wants to keep gaining your approval. His genetic make up tells him to go and get something and give it to you!
Sounds like he would make an excellent working dog.:)

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He is very happy with his training session wants to keep gaining your approval. His genetic make up tells him to go and get something and give it to you!
I know they like to carry things but why the stealing? Why not bring me a toy instead of deliberately searching for something that he's not supposed to have? It's that part I can't get my head around lol. Unless he wants to bring me a nice present in return for training him and figures dog toys aren't good enough :lol:

Only thing I can imagine him working at at the moment is a pickpocket. I swear I'll change his name to The Artful Dodger yet :D

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I think the stealing is just an element of mischief :)

Dex won't retrieve for anything, not even food. But he takes great delight in pinching things that he knows he shouldn't :D

The worst culprit for this is his Flattie girlfriend Nefertiti. I swear, that dog was a cat burglar in a previous life. She nicked some poor bloke's hat in the park the other day and then ran around the field with it in her mouth :D She steals biscuits from people's plates, and even took a shoe of someone's foot once.

I used Dex's habit of nicking things as a way to teach him to 'let go'. Now we are caught in an eternal cycle of him stealing things, then parading them in front of me until I tell him to 'let go', which he immediately does - and then of course I have to give him a treat...

I think this might be one command I actually taught too well.......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Yes - it is exactly what Labs do - they are really sneaky thieves and when you have multiple Labs as well as doing it when you come home / to get your attention or when you turn your attention away from them - they will use these items to pinch chairs / food / bones - you name it - provides us with plenty of entertainment :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.