UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Indi-Dog (and/or Tillymint) over rogz/ezydog etc (if you do that is)

my reply on the business idea thread got me thinking about whether my idea of why people buy is correct!

So is it price, quality, range, the fact that you will always get either me or TM rather than a CSR, that we're easy to contact, because you support small business etc?

In my mind we're seen as more trustworthy as we're 'one of the pack' so to speak, our customers (off the forum) know us and our dogs, that we can easily be messaged etc etc. But do you guys see us that way or is it all in my mind?

If you buy from shops/big businesses only, how come?

(im including tillymint in this as we both have similar (established) businesses and operate in a very similar way) :)

·
Banned
19,820 Posts
I would choose a small personal business over a big company because:

I like to support individuals making a living doing something they love
I like to buy from people who are genuinely interested in the customer (or dog) rather than just seeing it as a market.
I like the individuality of the product and the level of personalisation
I feel the price reflects each of the above.

I would buy a pet shop item over a small business item:

To buy a puppy collar and lead set as I do not feel I can justify the cost of a personalised one relative to how long it is going to last (but I would buy a collar from the personal business at a later date).
If I wanted something asap ie if a collar broke or I didn't have one the right size for an emergency foster but otherwise I feel the postage time for an individual item is great.

Oh, and I bought a brand (ancol) collar for Dave because I just wanted something a bit different after spotting it, because Dave really suits a leather collar and I feel/have found personal businesses who deal with leater a bit too pricey.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
I like to use smaller/home businesses:

I like to support them
I've ask you sid a few times on the strength of different collar/belts due to Chance breaking some before, so tested and honest opinions mean alot
Alot more personal choices, such as my yellow theme
Great prices

:)

ETA: do you know when your going to start selling the 2" collars you mentioned a while ago sid?

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
I usually buy mine from quidopetz as with 2 dogs I get a free collar quite often. Also she does a puppy range that is suitable for my toy breed (I buy her harnesses elsewhere) and I prefer the metal clasp for my small dog. I like the way her website is set out and how easy it is to pick one. I've been using them before I started this site and I guess prefer what I know (no offence and hope that helps!).

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
I like the fact you can design your own collar to your specifications.

And that the collars are individual and that you are unlikely to see another collar the same unless you are on a PF meet.:lol:

I also like the personal touch that you get from Indi-dog and Tillymint.

G

·
I is looking forward to receiving Miltons new collar from Cravensmum :) I think he's gonna look real nice in it. The reason why I choose to buy from Cravens mum is simply because I had a look at her collars. Liked it so wanted it. That's pretty much what I do with anything I buy to be honest.

I do like the fact i'll probably not bump into anyone with the same collar also. I kinda don't like seeing someone with the same things as me when out and about whether its my dogs collars and leads or clothing that I am wearing etc.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Because of the personal , friendly and helpful feedback.
Because they are small businesses trying to get a leg up
Because the products are different , fun , interesting , individual.
Because you can taylor a collar to suit your dog.

oh and because the price for all of this is very resonable

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
- It is nice to support folk from the forum
- The products are different from others out there
- You can have a collar personalised to your specifications without there being a huge cost to do so
- The customer service is great and personal
- The prices are very good indeed

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
All my reasons are the same as everybody elses!

The personal service
Supporting small businesses
The choice and therefore the individuality of the product
Being able to add extra's like another D ring was a life saver
The price is reasonable for all this alone

G

·
For me, it's the range. I recently brought a collar from Tilly mint, and I am on literally the other side of the planet, but I can't find the collars I want here. Price and the fact you guys are easily contactable etc come into it, but range is the big thing for me. Also, having a smaller dog, it's hard to find collars that are narrow enough - lots of cool collars only come in 25mm which is too wide for this midget.

·
MillieMoo'sMum
2,015 Posts
I dont use them coz Ive never been able to get Paypal to work for me!:eek:
I dont use paypal no more but tillymint helped me on that one and was able to order from her, and I'm almost sure indidog would do the same....:)

I love the fact that buying from "our pack" is the surest way of getting exactly what you want, you dont get the same amount of customer relation service with the big companies, Tillymint even emails the picture of the item I asked for just to check I asked for the right thing as I sometimes get things "wrapped round my neck" (excuse the pun) in explaining what I would like, ....I find this a blessing :D

·
Registered
17,498 Posts
Hate to say it but your OP makes this a very leading q Sid ;)

I'll be honest and say I still use Rupert's Dublin collar 90% the time. It's so durable and waterproof I don't have to worry about it getting wrecked if he is up to mischief.

As well my actual preference is a really chunky metal buckle which my Dublin has as well. It's such a fantastic collar I keep going back to it, £20 that's lasted going on three years now.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Although I have only been introduced to the wonders that are custom collars since being on here I will now continue to buy from small businesses such as yours because:
-I love that I can get unique collars for the boys to show off their personalities and I'm unlikely to bump into anyone with the same.
-The choice of ribbons and colours are brilliant and I enjoy being able to order a custom collar.
-Price is of course a factor and I find your prices excellent.
-I feel I can trust a small business such as yours due to your activity on the forum and the amount of satisfied customers you already have.
-The turn around time is fantastic I ordered collars from Tillymint just last week and they arrived yesterday.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i used to but from pets at home but when i lived in bristol i went there to get some puppy pads and i overheard 2 staff and what they said disturbed me.... a bird had got out in the back and one member of staff replied just shoot it and get back quick....and 5 mins later he was back and said ok ive done it....didnt even look upset at all about the situation and i was thinking surely you could have at least attempted to catch it but your to damn lazy and dont give a crap about the bird obviously!! so ive never gone there since...now i buy from the little pet shop in the market and the lady is really nice :)

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I usually get collars from Ezy-Dog but I recently got a fab half check collar from Tillymint. I would definitely order from her again, and am also looking at Indi-Dog's load bearing collars with great interest :D

For me there are three main reasons for ordering from smaller businesses, especially Tillymint and Indi-Dog:

1 - the customisation that is possible. I asked Tillymint to put my mobile phone number on the half check collar. Also the extra D ring is fab. I simply could not get a collar with all these features from any of the big retailers/brands.

2 - excellent customer service!

3 - the fact that so many PF members trust these products speaks volumes. When I see that bigger and stronger dogs than Dexter are safe and comfortable in Tillymint & Indi-Dog collars, that is a key point for me!

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
Price and quality are the biggest factor in where I buy from. I've been very wary of buying things like collars and leashes online as I've had plenty snap before so I like to be able to see and feel them before buying.

Recently ordered from Tillymint since so many people use her collars and really rate them. Same with yours Sid but the one I liked best just happened to be a Tillymint one.

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Because I will ALWAYS buy from small independent businesses whenever I can. I'd much rather hand over my dosh to someone who actually cares about their products rather than someone in [email protected] or similar who hasn't got a clue what they're selling, or is indeed even remotely interested in what they're selling.

Sadly, someone has given me a voucher for [email protected] which I need to spend there, but I'd much rather spend it elsewhere. :(

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.