Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

why do people let you down!!

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by kristy, Aug 7, 2009.

1. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

We had a litter 6 weeks ago and nearly everyone who was on our list has decided they have either changed their mind,started working more,had a baby or some other excuse!!!
    we still have two little girls who no one seems to want which is such a shame as they are lovely:D
    we had allot of people wanting either boys or yellows so with all black girls its proving hard to find the best of homes.
    how can someone not love these little faces

Attached Files:

2. Cassies-mum

Cassies-mum PetForums VIP

their so cute

3. Indie

Indie PetForums VIP

Awwww bless them xx

4. Dundee

Dundee Banned

I'm afraid that's all part of breeding.

Did you have a waiting list or have you already advertised them? Have you got them listed on the KC website as, provided the parents are health tested they do tend to get lots of enquiries and you should find homes for them without a problem. Health tested well bred puppies are still being sought after.

5. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

Im sure someone will scoop them up soon xx

6. davehyde

davehyde Banned

they are gorgeous.

can you not contact your local breed club and let them know they are available?

7. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Awww, they are so adorable.
    x

8. majortom

majortom PetForums Member

thats the downside of breeding
    i know people who this has happened to ,and they were left with 7 dogs at 6months old
    most of the other enquires were tottally unsuitable
    and people where only interested in buying to breed
    they have been in the breed and showing for years
    these were health tested and endorsed pups

9. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

yes we did have a waiting list, however just didn't have a demand for black girls:(, i have had them advertised but just seem to attract either the ones who want it for a birthday pressie for their 2 year old or people who are to far away, its not like I'm asking the world for them, i have them advertised for 350 pounds, please be honest is that a reasonable figure to ask for? they are kc reg and from heath tested parents, did have one guy who rang wanting to buy the whole litter!!!I'm sure you can imagine my reply. i know to some people i may seem hard to please but homes for my little ones are important.
    i will try looking at a few breed clubs and give kc a call and see if they can be added onto their list, so glad we only had a small litter as im losing sleep worrying about them and there's only 2, and also the longer i know they don't have homes the more attached i get...hmmmm me can see a bigger house coming soon...lol

10. davehyde

davehyde Banned

where abouts are you? if close enough maybe people can help out.

11. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

I don't know if it's just me as I'm not a big dog owner but £350 for a KC health tested lab seems very cheap, I will keep an ear out, were abouts are you based Kristy my OH is in the RAF and there is always someone asking him if he knows anyone with such and such a breed. So I will get him to keep an ear out to.

If you can't find homes for them and you want whats best for them have you thought of donating them to Hearing Dog's, just a thought as they are always on the look out for labs and breeds like them.

take care
    Sarah

12. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Kristy, £350 sounds very cheap to me for KC registered, health tested parents.

Where did you advertise? What health tests did you do? What lines is your girl and the sire? and where abouts in the country are you?
    pm me if you'd rather not put it on here.

There should be an option to add them to the kc pupper list when you registered them. I can't remember how much it is, but not much. For a well bred labrador from health tested parents I would expect to pay anything from £450 - £700, depending on location, breeding etc.

13. Dundee

Dundee Banned

You beat me to it. Depending on where you are advertising you may be attracting the wrong sort of owner.

14. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

im in Blackpool Lancashire:D

15. Dundee

Dundee Banned

ok - and where have you been advertising them? which health tests and are they working, show or pet lines?

Forgot to add too - what about the stud owner? - a good kennel will usually have enquiries and pass on those enquiries to the bitches that have used their dogs.

#15 Dundee, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  16. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

we have them advertised mostly on the Internet sites(i know not the best), also on gun dog websites,at the local gun dog meet we have asked around as my mums husband goes shooting hence the reason for the litter as they needed another dog to join their family which could be trained.we have tried local advertising around Blackpool, i did see the part on the reg papers about putting them on the kc list but at the time thought we had more than enough potential owners:(, mums hip score was 4/6 and she has had her eyes tested which came back unaffected, father to the pups is a working dog,proved in the field, he has mostly ft ch and ir ft ch in lines,he is unaffected for eye defects however isn't checked for hips, his parents hip scores were 11total and 7 total.
    my lab(mum) is a family pet now but has been used on shoots,however now lives on my couch..lol so would say they were best suited to either working homes or pet homes.
    im trying my best with finding them homes and feel some people i put off due to asking so many questions about potential homes,however if they cant be honest and understand that it means alot to me to get the best of homes then they are not good enough for one:), im only asking 350 for them as i never bred to try and make any money on the litter and just feel its an inbetween price.

17. davehyde

davehyde Banned

i am ex blackpool. 30 yrs or so.

i lived in bispham and just off talbot road. local was the wheatsheaf before they pulled it down

18. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

Sadly the stud dog owner is very into his gun dogs and isnt a great help as most people he knows want a dog at 6/8 months to bring on?! although his dogs were all lovely and healthy well trained dogs they were all kept outside and so do many of his contacts, which worries me as i dont want one of my pups been put in a kennel for 6/8 months until its old enough to train.....am i been to picky?????:rolleyes:

19. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

i moved to bispham about 8 weeks ago..lol ive always lived in staining nr poulton and im not liking it too much, i miss the fields been outside my front door,although we are much closer to the beach:D

20. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Ok - well the fact that the sire hasn't had his hips scored may well put some of the more discerning buyers off. I'm guessing it was a local working dog you used rather than a stud from a good kennel. As both parents aren't health tested, then the price I suggested is probably a bit high and you are probably about right. The problem you have though is that you are caught inbetween - discerning owners will want both parents health tested, less discerning ones will.... well let's just say you've already experienced them and anyone worth owning a puppy won't be put off so don't worry about that.

I still think the kc puppy list would be the best place to advertise them. Unfortunately, people looking at gundog sites will tend to expect well known studs and health tests done although you could put them on here
    gundogs/labrador retrievers/cocker spaniels/english springer spaniels/golden retrievers/dogs for sale/pointers for sale
    but as I said, people looking on here will tend to expect all health tests done and a good sire.
    Good luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice