Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

why do people have to be so nasty?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by xxbailliexx, May 19, 2010.

1. xxbailliexx

xxbailliexx PetForums Member

ok, so we are quickly finding out just what its like to be the owners of a staffie!!
    i had baillie out for a walk yesterday and for the 1st time she was walking perfectly :thumbup: it was really hot here and she was panting quite a bit with her huge tongue hanging out (love it when she does that :D)
    but we were on our way back home and this lady was walking towards us with 2 kids and another wee one in a pram,the little boy says " oh mummy look at the doggy" and she says to the 2 kids " don't yous dare go near THAT THING it will bite yous"!!!! now i know a lot of people don't like or are affraid of staffies but i had stopped and baillie was sitting down waiting on her treat so i said to her that she could pass by and that baillie would stay as she was waiting on a treat (also had her on a short lead) next thing she starts screaming at me that baillie should be put down she was evil,would bite her kids and that she would'nt pass us she would cross the street with her kids!! i say to her she has done nothing to make you think she is evil or going to maul your kids she lives with 2 wee girls to which she replies "well when the day comes when she rips your girls throats out,remember this conversation"!!!! i politely told her to bugger off (was stressed out as had to rush youngest daughter to hospital yesterday morning and thought a wee walk will help settle my nerves!!)
    i was fuming :cursing::cursing:
    i know each to their own and everything but seriously is this what its like when you own a staffie? poor baillie was being so well behaved aswell :(:(
    we've only had baillie a week and thats twice someone has been soooo rude about her when she has done nothing wrong although this lady yesterday was the worst, she was screaching at me :mad:

sorry for the long rant i'm stressed out and had to get that off my chest :D makes me love the wee munchkin even more :001_wub::001_wub:

Attached Files:

2. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I'm sorry you've only met idiots, and moron's. Got to feel sorry for the kids being bought up by a fool like that!!!! Just smile, ignore and laugh at them. I know it's frustrating but you know your girl is perfect and that's all that matters. One day find someone who'll appreciate her and compliment her, and I think she's fab and lucky to have found you. :thumbup:

3. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

What sort of lead/collar/harness do you use on her? I notice her collar is studded, is that the one she wears when out??

I found that different equipment gets different reactions, when I walked buster (staff x) on a half check and part chain lead, I got more dirty looks than I do when I walk him now.

He now wears a bright red semi slip collar instead, and has an all fabric lead

Try getting a pink nylon collar for her, or a girly coloured bandana lol

Even I am much more wary of a staffy or typey dog which has a studded harness or collar on, compared to ones walked with a normal flat collar. And I love staffies lol

4. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

I'll second what JSR said, smile and ignore them don't let them get to you.
    I have the exact same with George but luckily the amount of people who stop give him a fuss and say nice things far outweigh the idiots that say nasty/ignorant things and cross the road to avoid him...

5. Joolz1975

Joolz1975 PetForums Member

Idiots!

My neighbour has a staffie and she is the sweetest most pleasent natured dog ive ever met!!

My little girl is 4 and goes over every night after school to see the dog and the dog sits and waits at the gate for her to arrive!

My daughter has tripped over her, accidently trod on her whilst playing and the dog has never showed any sign of agression!

Infact ive never known a nasty staffie! every one ive met has been lovely!

My daughter and the dog are often found snuggled in the dogs bed sharing a biscuit lol!

We take her for walks and she doesnt pull and off lead she walks at my daughters side and is really protective of her!

6. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Some people are born morons unfortunatley. Next time someone does that shout, "get away! I dont want my dog catching something from your nasty little children!":)
    Maybe I need a Staff. Would protect my Chihuahua's from snotty little grabby handed kids!!:rolleyes:

7. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

One thing I've learned about owning certain types of dog (for me its Rottweiler cross & 2 GSDs) is that you have to develop a thick skin! This woman is obviously reading all the media hype & reacting to it, don't allow her to get under your skin as she has won then. If the people are really nasty I tend to just ignore them rather than get into an argument, if people are ill-informed but receptive to stopping to chat I try to educate them & have succeeded on several occasions to obtain some tentative fans of our dogs:)
    I don't know how long you have had Baillie for but I think you'll discover there are a lot of people out there who react totally differently, I always go & chat to staffie owners if I get the chance & I have more people coming over to fuss my dogs than I do people being nasty.
    Keep you chin up & walk your Staffie with pride:)

8. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

Im so sorry hun. I have had similar with a child and mother, because Sophie was on her halti, and she told the boy to run past quick, as it was a nasty dog that would attack him and thats why she was wearing a muzzle :rolleyes: I said actually its not a muzzle, and she just shot me a filthy look and stormed off. People are extremely strange hun. I haven't had any comments about poppy yet (staffy.) I just get nasty comments about having too many dogs. :rolleyes:

9. xxbailliexx

yeah this is the collar she came with we have been trying to find another for her but there is'nt a great selection in the local pet shops. we are going to take her up to pets at home at the weekend and get her a new one because i hate the one she has.

i really can understand people being unsure of dogs they don't know and not allowing their kids to pet strange dogs.my girls know not to approach strange dogs but to randomly scream at someone in the street for absoloutly nothing was just plain rude,she had no reason to do that.

there is an old man lives just behind us who has a huge rottweiller (sp?) who says welcome to my world love i've had that for years!!! he was really kind and let baillie meet his dog who is daft as a brush and gorgeous :)

10. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn PetForums Senior

Aww shes lovely :001_wub: Best to ignore idiot folks like them who hear half a word then jump on the bandwagon.

Think i must be lucky as when i walk Cassie folks know her so know she's daft as a brush. She's got the full leather staffy harness but only because shes broke 2 fabric ones we've bought and used to choke herself on her collar.

My neighbors when i was younger always had rescue staffies and they were so docile and playful...

Hope you never run into her again and enjoy your little gorgeous bundle :thumbup:

11. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

Pets Bits For The Fashion Conscious Pet

This place has really nice designs, and lots of types of collars :thumbup:

took just over a week for delivery but there were family probs at the time or something

12. xxbailliexx

thanks for all the kind replies

just to say though that we have had some really lovely people stop and pet baillie and fuss over her. even a little old lady at the bus stop this morning who gave her a little pet and said she was lovely :) i was just really surprised that someone would shout and ball like that for nothing,would have kind of understood if baillie was trying to get to her but she was knackered and just plodding along.

13. xxbailliexx

thanks for that sid&kira there are some lovely collars on there, i particularly like the bright yellow one with the bees on it :D think that would look gorgeous on baillie,although not sure hubby would think the same :scared:

14. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

Lol ignore hubby lol, it will suit her perfectly!! lol

I love the alaskan semi slip types :thumbup:

15. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

Baillie sounds adorable and the woman sounds as though she has a very low IQ and excells in gullible stupidity. :) Ignore people like that and walk your dog with pride. She sounds a lot better behaved than many people are.

16. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Step away from the collars...it's a slippery slope to dog collar obsession!!! I'm doing a 7 step program right now to curb my obsession...although failed because just got 3 new one's from a rescue auction just yesterday!!

17. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

Sad isn't it the absolute ignorance of people. We don't very often get that reaction when out walking the dogs in the city. Folks might say 'My word what big dogs and so peaceful. Leonbergers are they?' When we tell them the breed they usually react in two ways; 'I don't think I know that breed' or they take a couple of steps backwards and ask, 'Aren't they dangerous to be out walking in the city with?' :mad:
    But apparently that attitude isn't confined to the street. When we first joined this site someone here went to great lengths to warn us against our dogs and their temperament. :rolleyes:
    I am at present typing this post with the tip of my nose because all my fingers have been devoured! :lol: :lol: :lol:

18. xxbailliexx

oh she is sooo adorable, i love her to bits allready and we've only had her 1 week tomorrow,she's just so so loving it was quite upsetting yesterday when she had'nt done anything wrong to hear someone talk about her like that.

we do have a lot of work with her manners as she does'nt have a lot of them but if theres a treat there she'll do anything you ask of her :D she has a little toy duck who's she just ragdolled and i've had to lift the stuffing all off the floor :lol: she pulled it all out and spat it all over the rug!!! she's so funny :D

19. xxbailliexx

oh there are so many is'nt there :D i have a new obsession and another excuse to spend money hehe spent a small fortune on baillie on friday on toys and things and now she does'nt have a lot left because she's killed most of them :lol::lol:

we have also decided that when the time is right we will be rescuing another staffie but only when baillie has settled and we make sure she is happy. oh i just know i'm going to end up with a house full :scared:

20. PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth

PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth PetForums Member

Oh stupid woman grrrr

I agree with the others ignore her and walk your gorgeous Staffie with pride :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice