Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Why do people feed other peoples horses??

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Chatcat, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Chatcat

Chatcat PetForums Senior

Bit of a rant coming (sorry...)
    My field, unfortunately, has footpaths on three sides, and this week I have found three, yes, THREE separate people trying to feed treats over the fences. It drives me mad. The ponies are trotting over to these people, getting treats, and I don't know what they are feeding, it could be liquorice for all i know (yes, this happened!). So the field is getting all churned up and slippery. One of the ponies has arthritis and I don't really want her trotting in a slippery field. One person, when the ponies were in their stable, actually called them several times! When I called out that I would prefer if they don't feed my ponies, I got a load of abuse - it's only an apple!

Grrrrr - not feeling Christmassy!!!:Arghh

HarlequinCat and kimthecat like this.
  2. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Oh that’s so annoying!!

Could you put up signs on the fence that explain the ponies are on a special diet and treats could make them ill? I walk past some fields where they have this sign up. Not sure if it works or not but it might make people think twice!
    Are the footpaths on the other side of a fence? Could you perhaps run an electric fence on the inside of the actual fence so people couldn’t reach the ponies?

3. Chatcat

Chatcat PetForums Senior

Hi, yes I have calmed down now! I will probably move them to another field shortly anyway., and I have put up some signs but they don't seem to last. I should probably get them laminated. It's just that whole thing of feeding someone else's animals. I wouldn't go to their house and feed their dog!!!

Kim Watcham and Teddy-dog like this.
  4. LJC675

LJC675 PetForums VIP

I think it's just that people don't know or understand why it's a problem, they think it's something nice to do. I guess it's a bit like when you see people taking loads of bread down to a pond and feeding the ducks. Some people like horses but could never dream of owning one, so to them it's a little treat to go & see the ponies / horses.

I think a nice polite sign would help.

HarlequinCat likes this.
  5. Chatcat

Chatcat PetForums Senior

Oh, I know, it's a nice thing to do, but really, I have seen so many people do this, one was an old man feeding potato skins, one was another old man with a grandchild, who I did not say anything to because it was quite sweet, but he fed a BAG of chopped apples - sometimes it is a bit much.

6. LJC675

LJC675 PetForums VIP

I agree that it can have its problems and sympathise. I once had a horse and where I kept him some of the fields were near paths and people would feed the pones that were in those fields. The problem that arose was that some of the ponies got used to people coming past to feed them and would sometimes lean out over the fence when they saw people walking past to see if anyone had food. It wouldn't have taken much for one of them to perhaps nip someone going past because of the feeding going on, so the yard then had to double fence so they couldn't be reached.

7. Chatcat

Chatcat PetForums Senior

Yes, this exactly! I wondered why there were skid marks in one corner of the field, now i know! It's so frustrating - it causes jealously, nipping, unnecessary trotting about, and worse, leaning over the fence.. If i double fenced, i would lose quite a bit of grass, plus, this lot would just throw the apples into the field, i just know it! thank you for your thoughts, I have calmed down now! They will go to another field shortly and that will be the end of it (for now)!

8. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I know people see it as a nice thing to do but to us horse owners is a nuisance! Luckily I don’t have this problem but I would be really annoyed if passerby after passby started feeding my horse. He is a very good doer and I spend most of the year trying to keep weight off him and he’s only allowed the odd apple or carrot every now and then. His normal treats are low fat non sugary ones. And like you said, it can cause jealousy and fights between horses in the same field.

I don’t think the public realise just how sugary and calorific a simple carrot is for a horse. I remember last summer some well meaning member of the public went and dumped their grass clippings in a horse field and one of the horses ended up dying. They obviously didn’t know how dangerous that is but why feel the need to feed a strange animal in the first place?

9. Chatcat

Chatcat PetForums Senior

That's awful. Did you see the fb post about the horses eating poo bags? Apparently in the post mortem it had a stomach full of poo bags. Disgraceful. I suppose I should be glad they are feeding only apples, and possibly looking out for them if they are in trouble! :rolleyes:

10. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums Senior

I don't own a horse, but if I did, I'd be no happier about someone feeding it than I would if they were feeding my dog! I'm pretty sure people on the whole don't mean any harm at all and are probably just uneducated about these things.

When we were kids we our parents used to take us to see horses in fields and we fed them bags of sugar lumps, and polo mints! I know very little about horses but now as an adult I'm horrified we did that, I cant imagine sugar lumps and polos being very good for horses at all! We certainly only saw it as being a nice thing to do at the time, we would never have done it had we had more knowledge I'm sure, and certainly meant to cause no harm.

I get super cross if people start trying to give my dog Woody treats when we are out, so many people don't even ask, just whip out dog treats and start shoving them in Woodys face. He has been trained not to take food from people without me saying ok so that helps. But it is very annoying and I understand why you are annoyed.

I think maybe as has been suggested a polite notice telling people not to feed the horses is probably a good idea.

11. Chatcat

Chatcat PetForums Senior

Hi @Bugsys grandma, thanks, I had a bad day yesterday and ranted about everything! You have reminded me, I can also remember giving polos and sugar, how awful!! Nowadays, the tendency is to avoid treats altogether as it causes other problems, but today I am relaxed so I'm not ranting!! Thanks everyone! xx

12. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

We had a shire horse on my Nan's farm when I was little called Danny who loved extra strong mints. If he smelt them on you and you didn't give him one he'd bite your shoulder.

He was very naughty.

:D

13. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums Senior

Glad you're feeling less stressed today. Isn't it great though to have a place like PF where we can rant and let off steam, and have people understand where we're coming from. :)

Chatcat likes this.
  14. thedutchess65

thedutchess65 PetForums Newbie

This is one of my pet hates

15. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Tbh most non horsey people wouldn’t realise how potentially harmful feeding horses and ponies could be.

Nor that it causes poaching of the field and can cause biting.

If it’s an issue, perhaps a polite notice or two along the fence would help to educate them?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice